doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill G73 Need some advice on an Ithaca SXS - 01/07/14 02:44 PM
I have an Ithaca SXS circa late 1924 from the serial number. It was given to me 50 years ago and I have hunted, shot trap, skeet and sporting clays with it. In the Spring 2013 I had a problem breaking the breech after firing a round, single or both barrels. Took it to our local gunsmith who could find nothing wrong other than firing pin areas were very dirty. Went back on the range, same problem. Second gunsmith, could find nothing wrong. I am aware of articles about todays higher pressure loads and this era Ithaca SxS. Had it checked for barrel and receiver issues, again nothing. Any suggestions? P.S. I live in South West Virginia near Bristol, a good gunsmith referral would be appreciated. Thanks
Bill G
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Need some advice on an Ithaca SXS - 01/07/14 02:54 PM
If by breaking the breech you mean opening the gun, I have come across s handful of guns where the rim cut for the shell was not of sufficient width to allow easy extraction. That essentially locks the gun closed. The problem is more common with reloads. If that is your situation, look for bright scuff marks on the edge of the rim. Also, see if you can easily insert and remove the same shell(s) from the loose/dismounted barrels. That's one problem area and one place to start.
Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: Need some advice on an Ithaca SXS - 01/07/14 02:56 PM
Had the same problem with an Ithaca 1924 Flues. Took it to Gunther Pfrommer in Rocky Mt. Va (not to far from you) and he took care of the problem. I cannot remember what he said he needed to do, but it was fairly simple. I think the problem may have been extracter related. Google Gunter Pfrommer or Pfrommer Gunworks and read the Doublegunshop threads.
Posted By: Bill G73 Re: Need some advice on an Ithaca SXS - 01/07/14 03:31 PM
Thank You Rick and Ithaca5E!!

The gun I have is a 1924 Flues, I will call Gunther today and let you know how this works out. THANKS AGAIN.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com