doublegunshop.com - home
http://postimg.org/gallery/5o989vtw/300951b7/

click above link for pics .
what is model of this gun? what chokes?
May be one of the Garcia era GR series. I didn't see anything I recognized as a date code. Looks pretty old but that may just be wear...Geo
What the chokes were when it left the factory and what they are now may be two different things . Measure them .Only way to be sure .
Hello Kahn
Welcome on your first posting
I have put some of your pictures
Here
Mike

screen shot

image upload with preview

online photo sharing
See here for proofmarks and dates

http://www.shotguns.se/html/italy.html
Kahn ,the model # on these older Beretta's is usually stamped on the wood of the forend...it's there on yours but I just can't make it out ,the longer of the two stampings is the serial # the shorter closer to the receiver end is the mod #
Some of the numbers on the bbls are a bit hard for my old eyes to read. The 20.5/70 shows the small end of the chamber measured 20.5mm (.807") in diameter & were 70 mm long (2 3/4". .807" is smaller than present day SAAMI specs for minimum chamber Diameter, so if you put a modern chamber gauge in the chamber it will almost certainly show it ass being short chambered, which would not be the case. The bores (At Proof) measured 18.3 mm (.7205"). I can't make out the choke diameters for certain, but perhaps they are 17.3 L & 17.6 R. if so the left barrel choke was .681" or about .0395 constriction (Full). if the right was 17.6 then it measured .693" or .0275" constrition (3/4 choke) or improved modified.
Thanks all for your responses.
2-piper,.. i see 20.3/70 stamped there
what could be the maximum price for this shotgun?
Khan;
20.3 mm would convert to .799" which is about spot on for the small/front end of a 12 gauge chamber (Current SAAMI specs list .798" minimum). When I stated this was the dimension at the Rear of the chamber that was actually a Belgian proof house method for some years, apparently the Italians mark the forward end. Would have to dig out some of my old proof info to find for sure.
@Miller,.. it means shot cartridge will be stuck in the gun?
Khan;
A normal chamber for the 12 gauge shotshell will have .005" per inch of taper to it to facilitate extraction/ejection. Thus a 2 3/4" chamber will be .014" bigger at the rear than at the forward end where it joins the cone. Current minimums are .798 & .811" I believe. I will assume your chamber was cut to .799 at the forward end & with the .014" taper should go .813 just ahead of the rim seat. Any factory new shell or proper reload should enter easily & should not stick.
Kahn, congratulations on owning a fine gun and piece of history as well. I believe the gun is a 1950 Model 409 Bis. It is an Anson & Deeley action whose patent goes back to Westley Richards Co. in the 1800s; Beretta began producing this gun in 1926 and continued (with variations in features and finish) until the 42x series was introduced in 1963. Your gun was most likely imported by Godfrey & Co. NYC.

There is a group of Beretta SxS enthusiasts you might like to hook up with...we publish a newsletter that would tell you a lot about the old guns; there's no cost. Let me know: jim.bode@frontier.com
Kahn,
I agree with Jim that it's a 1950 Model 409. I've got a couple of very similar vintage guns. They are nice handling hunting guns.

Before you shoot your gun, I would suggest having a smith go over it and make sure that you won't damage the stock and everything looks OK. It looks like the stock has worked it's way loose.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com