doublegunshop.com - home
I'm thinking of sending a M12 out, but I don't think S_____ms is who I want to use after seeing lots of buffed over corners

Any recommendations?
I wish I could give you some advice, but I can't. Maybe Wright is OK, but I really don't know. I know Turnbull would do a good job, but he would steer you away because of the price. He is honest about it, at least.
NuLine guns down in Missouri, I believe.
Brad Batchelder in Grand Rapids - the last person trained in the Winchester Custom Shop
Art's?
You can dismantle the gun and polish it yourself down to about 320 or so, and send it to Glenrock Blue, in Glenrock, WY. If you stay away from the dirty wheel, you won't have anything to b!tch about. Wrap the paper around some auto body blocks and have at it.
I did the same thing to a rusty, first year 20 gauge model 12 a drunken uncle left me, and the bluing job is worth more than the gun. Honest.

Best,
Ted
I just had a M12 20 ga reblued by Mitch Schultz of Gunsmithing, Ltd. in Southport, Ct. Did a fantastic job, true Winchester finish and less than half the turn around time of everyone else I called (Nuline, Simmons and another place I can't remember). Gun was completely stripped, polished, blued and complete in 3 weeks. Markings are crisp, clear and metal appropriately polished ( ie, not overdone). Price was within $25-30 of the others too.
Jim Wiegand, Wiegand gun services is a pro on Winchester and reasonable. Out of Cloverdale, IN. I know Paulene uses him on some of her projects. You will see no buffed corners and lettering will be crisp.
If you are handy at all, tear the gun down and get a bottle of Oxpho Blue. This stuff does a surprisingly good job if you do your part to follow the instructions. If you are looking to create a "showpiece" this won't suffice, but it will protect a gun from any further oxidation and make it quite serviceable. If you must go elsewhere, Nu-Line looked pretty good to me when I was considering this.
Second buzz suggestion.
Chuck: I would think you would have great fun doing it yourself. If you get most of the prep done we can rust blue it here on a rest day.
Nu-Line did mine about 20 years ago; great job...Geo
Bachelder - he knows the correct colors for just about any American made gun. He's just done a couple of restorations for me and I'm 100% satisfied . 1-616-459-3636 - not Sat, Sun, or Monday and after 10AM EST.
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Second buzz suggestion.

Me three.
Thanks much to all. I've spoken with several folks and decided on Jim Wiegand.
You will be pleased. Jim does high quality blacking on Winchester firearms....like factory. I've known him since I was a kid. He's a very good general gunsmith and one of the best at Winchester restoration. BTW, he does very good work on 21's too, but sends the barrels off for rust bluing.
The 20 ga M12 came back from Jim Wiegand Gun Service yesterday. I just opened it tonight. He really did an outstanding job. Really like new inside and out. It was $395 for the refinish work including opening the choke to .010" and return shipping.

The only part left is the new stock and forend coming from Show Me Gunstocks in MO. That should be ready shortly.

If your stock and forend turn out anywhere close to the pre-64 M70 stock Donnie built for me, you will be extremely happy. I just wish I could afford to have him restock my LC Smith. Having a new daughter at home has hampered my gun fun for a while.
Can see why you're happy Chuck -- it looks outstanding.

Jay
I'm glad you are happy Chuck. Your solid rib 20b Model 12 is very nice. Also, if you need any work on Model 21's don't hesitate sending it to Jim Wiegand. He has a thorough understanding of the 21's mechanics which can be complex. He's very, very good at what he does!
Hot damn. That looks great Chuck. I'm doing a model 12 restoration right now, I can tell you I have much more than $395 just in metal work into mine, I should've just sent mine off....more time hunting rather than at the bench sounds better to me.
How high of a polish is on the receiver, extension, trigger group? Barrel?

What type of stocks are you getting?
I'm not sure of the grit he used. It has a nice low luster. Maybe a 280-320 grit on the receiver and the barrel looks more 150-180 grit, following the OEM finish.

The stock set is going to be a "Skeet" set, exhibition wood, Skeet type point pattern.

Some "before" pics

Does it look like he bead blasted the barrel?
Gun looks great. Very nicely done restoration. Going with "stock" stocks or changing it up a bit? I've tossed around the idea of a straight grip for 1 of my model 12's, problem with that is I don't miss with the gun as is.
No bead blast on the barrel, it was hand finished and rust blued due to the soft soldered solid rib. The magazine tube was bead blasted.

The stock it going to be pistol grip. I've never shot a straight grip pump, so I didn't want to experiment here.

I may have Jim re-do a M42 next. It's a plain barrel field 28". I would like to have it converted with a solid rib and maybe a Grade 1 pattern on the receiver.
He's about $200 under what the competition charges and the work looks great. How long did this take, if I might ask?
Lloyd,
As near as I can tell, it was about 2 months door to door, maybe a little less.
Very nice Chuck.

And all that money you are going to save come dove season!
Mike,
I told my wife that I was going to save more with this gun. I think she was good with it. She said "yeah, sure..." That's concurrence, right?
Thank you Chuck. Two months is very good!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com