doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: trout1 Kit guns Ithacas?? - 02/26/07 02:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone who may have bought one of those Ithaca kit guns from Galazans (I think) had started or finished.
Any feedback or pics?
Posted By: CMWill Re: Kit guns Ithacas?? - 02/26/07 04:07 AM
Started, yes. Finished, hopefully one day. Sadly its on the bottom of my to-do list
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Kit guns Ithacas?? - 02/26/07 09:51 PM
I still have finished 4E wood if interested. Butt for a 28 and two forends for a 20ga., splinter & BT.

I'll pay Dave.

Rob
Posted By: HackCW Re: Kit guns Ithacas?? - 02/28/07 05:05 AM
I ordered two of them, a 20 and a 28. The gunsmith that I used to polish and assemble them took agreed to do about 15 of them for different customers. This was over two years ago, and I haven't received mine back yet. In fairness to him the metal parts were really "in the rough", not "in the white", and I think the work required was much more than he anticipated.

I have enough other projects going on that I can wait another year or what ever it takes.

If you buy one of the kits, it's essential that you have someone with the time and ability to prepare and assemble the parts, if you can't do it yourself. On my kits the parts were so rough and so much hand fitting needed to be done that I imagine it was almost like building a gun from scratch, except for the receiver and barrels, and I don't think the barrels were fully bored out to the proper diameter.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Kit guns Ithacas?? - 02/28/07 07:03 AM
Originally Posted By: HackCW
The gunsmith that I used to polish and assemble them took agreed to do about 15 of them for different customers.

MacFarlane?
Posted By: jjwag69 Re: Kit guns Ithacas?? - 02/28/07 12:27 PM
My experience with McFarlane caused me to demand my gun back. What was returned was a box of parts. I do not think he finshed a single gun. His veracity is more than questionable. I would not do business with him again. What he told me he had done and what I got back were vastly different. For 18 months he told me it was about two weeks from going to the engraver. What I got back was a partially filed receiver with barrels cut (not my specification)and partially fitted. Stock poorly turned and no other work accomplished. For more info PM me and I will give the full blast. He also treated a friend of mine the same way.

Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com