doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: OTEX Firma Franz Kettner - 03/06/13 03:06 AM
I have a side by side 16ga that I inherited from my grandfather and I was hoping to get more information on it. The top of the barrel is marked "Firma Franz Kettner" on one barrel and "Koln-Suhl" on the other. There is also the word "Nitro" engraved under each barrel. Under the forestock it is marked "KRUPP" along with what appears to be a makers mark and "SS" stamped in each barrel with a "W" on one barrel and the number 2439. I can also see a mark with a crest with a crown under it and a U under that. There is also a "W" with a crown above it, the number 16 inside a circle and 16/1 next to it. I will attempt to get some pictures posted in the near future. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Facebook Phot Album
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Firma Franz Kettner - 03/06/13 03:41 AM
I would suggest you get as many good detailed pictures of all the details you have listed, and repost them in the German Gun section of this BBS- We have many members who can assist you further, and their knowledge is encyclopedic in this area of expertise. Is this a outside hammer gun, or a hammerless? In my somewhat limited experience with these well-made shotguns, the 16/1 marking is common, and unless stamped 70mm ( 2.75") chambering, most of these have the shorter 65mm chambers. So even with the fine Krupp steel barrels, you might want to shoot the current 2.5" light loads in 16 gauge, such as RST sells.
Posted By: OTEX Re: Firma Franz Kettner - 03/06/13 03:51 AM
Thank you for the advice, I have made a duplicate post to the German/Austrian Forum
Posted By: Don Hardin Re: Firma Franz Kettner - 03/12/13 01:14 AM
I too have a Kettner, which I hunt with a lot . Very highquality in my opinion. Don Hardin
Posted By: Don Hardin Re: Firma Franz Kettner - 03/12/13 01:15 AM
I too have a Kettner, which I hunt with a lot . Very highquality in my opinion. Don Hardin
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Firma Franz Kettner - 03/12/13 09:22 PM
There is a big sport/hunting/gun shop in Germany and Austria named Kettner's. Might be able to find out something from them; fairly sure you can google them.

DDA
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com