doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 07:45 PM
I am thinking about having some choke work done on a L.C. Smith Hammergun and also having some chokes installed in a Browning(Japan) A-5.

Has anyone used his services and what was your experience with him?
Posted By: PA24 Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 07:55 PM

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=174285&page=1
Posted By: Lorne Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 07:56 PM
I have not actually had work done by Mike. If I needed barrel work, he is the first place I would go.

Many on this board write very highly of him, and a few have been unhappy, work just not done as I remember. I suspect that the frustrations are more complex than they appear.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 07:59 PM
I have had him alter some chokes and one time bend a stock for me. He does a fast turnaround and I have been satistifed completley.
Would not hesitate to use him again.
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 08:13 PM
Thanks for the link Doug. I remember that thread now. I spoke with him on the phone this afternoon and was told the turn around would be about a week. May send the A-5 barrel first as a test run. It will be much easier to replace if it turns bad.
Posted By: Franchi Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 08:21 PM
You can not do better!!
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 08:58 PM
Mike has done a number of barrel projects for me and without exception I have been pleased. One of the jobs was to save a very badly bodged diamond Daly barrel and he worked wonders.
Posted By: Laxcoach Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 10:42 PM
You traitorous heathen !
Surely you're not subjecting your pre-13's to the company of that scrap metal in your safe !!!!!
Posted By: idahobob Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 11:16 PM
I have had him do choke work on several barrels and he has been excellant. There have been a very few dissatisfied customers, mostly complaining about time for rust bluing as I recall. I recommend him highly. There are always some complaints--there are a few that speak badly about Briley.

The best thing about Mike, in addition to time and cost, is that he does hundreds of barrels a year, and has the equipment and experience to do it right.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/07/13 11:51 PM
I prefer Andy's Gun Shop....
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/08/13 03:42 AM
Laxative,

Do you keep your Beretta in a separate safe or in the same one as your Pre-13's?

p.s. What's your duck count thus far?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/08/13 12:53 PM
Mike Orlen would do well to steer clear of you...if any of you guys are Mikes friend you should warn him.
Posted By: Laxcoach Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/08/13 01:59 PM
Pre-13,
You mean the Beretta that outshot you in the beaver swamp ?
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/08/13 03:08 PM
jOe,

Have you used him for any barrel work?
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/08/13 09:16 PM
You there jOe? That's what I thought. How about as a New Year's resolution your try to keep your asinine and negative comments to yourself. You are the first one to tell a seller his gun is a piece of junk.

You had no intention on answering my question on this thread. Yet for some reason you felt the need to chime in with your usual BS.

In the 3+ years I have been on this BBS I have yet to see one single post by you that had any purpose. Try eating some Kaopectate to help with your constant diarrhea of the mouth syndrome.

Otherwise in the future just STFU!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/09/13 12:39 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Mike Orlen would do well to steer clear of you...if any of you guys are Mikes friend you should warn him.

Like I said.

Tell these guys about the negative add campaign you did for a gunsmith in your signature line on this board for several years.

You think Mike Orlen would like his name in lights should his work not meet your trAined eYe.
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/09/13 03:08 PM
You must be referring to the crook at Wind River Rifle Company who has scammed several people out of their money. He is now out of business as far as I can tell.

My goal was to inform my fellow double gun collectors before they were ripped off.

When I first posted the information here in 2009 and was commended by Ken Hurst you said "Amen Brotha"

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...HPSESSID=05d496

For those not familiar below are a few links to what this guy has done.

http://members.boardhost.com/lcsmith/msg/1290168092.html

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=6365

http://www.ripoffreport.com/liars/wind-river-rifle/wind-river-rifle-paid-2-800-d2d1d.htm
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/09/13 05:20 PM
Like I said

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Is this the place for this kind of rhetoric ?
Posted By: Tyler Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/10/13 02:12 AM
I have used him for barrel work on L C Smiths and a Parker Repo as well as stock bending. I have no complaints and would most certainly use him again!
Posted By: Pre-13 LC Coll Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/10/13 02:16 AM
Thanks Tyler
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/10/13 02:54 AM
Mike has done great work for me opening chokes on several guns. His price and turn-around have been outstanding. I once sent the barrels to him and inquired about the price a couple of DAYS later and the gun had already been done and shipped back to me; I do not believe my payment check reached him before the barrels were back in my hands. I have a Manufrance Ideal with unshootably tightly choked short barrels that I will be sending him soon.

That said, what he does so well is barrels, not general gun-smithing. Once I coaxed him out of his comfort area and into relaying, re-blueing, and refitting a set of Beretta Model 410 LE barrels for me that had shot apart, literally. That was a two year ordeal with Mike's famous periods of ignoring my inquiries. However his product was so well done and his price was so reasonable I forgave him completely.

If it is barrel work you want I recommend him...Geo
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Mike Orlen Services - 01/10/13 03:16 AM
Mike installed screw in chokes for me in a Browning Model 42 .410.

The work was done correctly and four choke tubes furnished for about $130 if I recall correctly.

Shipped to him on a Monday and received back on the following Wednesday.

I'll use him again for any choke opening or choke tubing that I need. Most issues with Mike that I've read about involved work other that internal barrel work - lengthening forcing cones, opening chokes or installing choke tubes.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com