doublegunshop.com - home
I have put together a pair of older Beretta SxS shotguns and would like to bring their weights closer. Their differences are 2 ounces in the barrels, .3 ounce in the for-end, and 3 ounces in the stock and receivers. Over all is a 5.3 ounce difference. Where should I start looking for weight reduction and how close do you think I can come to an equal weighted pair?
Ron
How do they each balance (inches from teeter-totter point to (front) trigger)? Likly you will want to match at least weight and balance.

The stock is the easy target for weight reduction. The 2 oz in the barrels may be a bit of a fly in the ointment.

DDA
Rocketman,
They balance at the same point forward of the hinge pin. They are both just a finger width forward of the pin. I may be off course in my thought about weight reduction. The balance in my hands feels very close. It's only when I break down the weight I see the difference.
Ron
Hey, Ron. Give me the actual length measure for balance if you would, please. Also, LOP and over all length of each. I'll run a simulation of weight reduction and see if I can give you a suggested amount and location. 5 oz, by the way, is just more than the 4 oz a shooter with average sensitivity to weight can detect. Could be you are less sensitive than average and may want to leave the guns as they are. Removing weight will, most likely, change balance point. You will need to check your sensitivity to balance against an estimate of balance change if your reduce the weight.

DDA
The point of balance is 4.25" to the front trigger, oal is
43 7/8", the lop is 14 3/8". I have been told I'm lacking in sensitivity. I may be working under a handycap...
Ron
I'll run the simulation and get back in a day or two.

DDA
At work they give us sensitivity training. ...it hasnt helped me. AmarilloMike knows.

Ron
It is sometimes easier to add weight to the lighter gun. Otherwise, drastic things like restriking barrels or backboring are needed.

Boring a hole under a grip cap is a good place to put weight. A conformal shaped lead weight that fits in between the barrels and forend can add a couple ounces.and bored holes in the butt can add or remove weight.
Amarillo Mike is overly sensitive and also a bit unbalanced, as we have all noticed from time to time.

ON the subject, I fretted about a similar problem with 2 Lefevers. Identical in every respect, but a couple ounce wait difference. It was pointed out to me that I couldnt tell one from the other between the hands anyhow and I quit worrying. Were "True Pairs" built to the same weight?
I wouldn't be fooling with backboring a barrel that may be chrome lined like many Berettas are. I would take a couple of ounces from the heavy stock and be happy. I have one lovely matched cased pair of 30" Evans game guns, both at six pounds, six ounces. I try to shoot more shells out of the one that came to me not broken in. When that one is broken in, it will be half of a true matched pair.
One way to handle it. Start out the day, while muscles are fresh, with the heavier of the two. Then, as fatigue begins to take it's toll, switch to the lighter gun. wink

Seriously, I agree with Bill, don't mess with the chrome lined bores in the Beretta. They are a definite plus, IMO. Adding weight to the lighter of the two is absolutely the way I'd go, if I just had to make them the same.

SRH
The barrels are "Acciaio Speciale Al Cromo Molibdeno". The last set Briley chokes were installed and the bores were sized the same with no additional charge. I never did ask any questions about chrome bores. I thought this was a type of steel only. I have been wrong before(O..so many times). I have given some thought of equalizing the bore on the heavier gun if it isn't chrome lined. Then again I am open to other thoughts even adding weight to the lighter gun. I will admit Stan has the most practical approach...if all else fails.
Ron
If the two guns differed in barrel length, would you be looking for a solution to make them identical?
eightbore,
If the lengths were different I wouldn't be attempting to make them a composed pair. I do have a few similar Beretta SxS shotguns but non like the 411E 16 gauge pair that I felt were close enough to make a composed pair with. Hunting is over now and this effort will fill a little time before Summer is upon us again.
Ron
Hi Rocketman,
Happy New Year. I thought I would bring this back up in hope that you may have run the numbers.
Ron
Ron,
That 2 oz in the barrels is knawing at me. I'd measure the bores and walls to figure out where it is.
Chuck,
The bore readings are .665 and .669. The weight of the barrels are 1.80 kg. the lighter set have a .678 bore in both and a barrel weight of 1.55 kg. when the bores were proofed. the light barrel bores were .677 and .669 before Briley work was done. Hope that helps.
Ron
While it is possible you can feel the difference, I suggest you consider a different objective. That objective is to give both guns the same feel in terms of balance and momentum. Look at adding or subtracting to the guns to give them equivalent feel.

Perfectly Matched guns are darling but in reality rare and I have seen more than one pair of guns that were slightly off. What matters is they handle identically, not that they are identical
old colonel,
Rocketman was going to run some numbers to help answer that question. I don't feel the difference but the thought of making them closer to the same weight was just a thought since hunting season has closed and the weather is cold.
Ron
Ron, I had a pair of British guns (A&N, made by Webley & Scott) that were less than an ounce apart. Have had a couple Spanish pairs, one of which was closer to 2 ounces apart. As Rocketman indicates, I could not tell--without looking at the number on the gun--whether I had AyA #1 or #2 in my hands.

From the difference in bore diameters on your guns, post-Briley work, looks like they might be pretty close in weight if you were to have Briley bore out the tighter pair to match the lighter/backbored pair.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com