doublegunshop.com - home
Sorry these are the only two pictures worth posting I will take some more shortly after completion.
We color cased the action and charcoal blued the trigger guard and top lever.

Thanks for looking
Looks good so far, anxious to see rest.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/22/12 08:49 PM
Looks to be a Hunter Arms Co. Fulton Special
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17126039

Later case colors were cyanide

Nice case color, trigger guards were niter blued.

bill
Posted By: keith Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/23/12 01:11 AM
You and your students are getting some beautiful results. I'm still hoping that you can find the time to tell us about your methods and materials.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/23/12 02:00 PM
Don't think it's a Fulton Special, Drew. That was basically a dressed-up Fulton, and all the Fultons are very easy to spot because of the 3 screws in the floor plate of the receiver, which this gun does not have. I'm thinking Hunter Special, which was an entirely different (and more expensive) boxlock manufactured for a fairly short period of time, mid to late 1930's. It had a rotary top bolt like the LC Smith; the Fultons did not. However, as I read the serial number, that looks to be about a decade too early for a Hunter Special.
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/23/12 02:13 PM
Looks like nice work. What method of preservation will you use to protect those nice case colors you applied? Do you lacquer your work after hardening? Anyone else have a recommendation on how to preserve and protect new case coloring?
Posted By: MichaelJ Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/23/12 07:12 PM
Thanks for the nice comments and Yes we lacquer them.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/23/12 07:29 PM
Nice...Fultons were are generally under appreciated. I had 5 or 6, different bores...good guns...My Dad was a Fulton fan...
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/23/12 07:45 PM
Larry - the Hunter Special was so marked, and the Fulton Special had the birdie

Posted By: L. Brown Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/24/12 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Larry - the Hunter Special was so marked, and the Fulton Special had the birdie

Drew, agree--now that photos of the sides of the receiver are up--that it's not a Hunter Special. But I'm still wondering about the missing screws in the floorplate of the receiver, which are present on every Fulton I've ever seen. This gun doesn't have any. Brophy says very little about the Fulton guns, and the Hunter ad copy he quotes seems to indicate that the Fulton Special is nothing more than a Fulton with a few additional bells and whistles (full PG, engraving, etc). Must be more difference than that if those screws aren't present, because that would indicate that the receivers weren't the same, or were at least modified in the Fulton Special.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/24/12 02:36 PM
Larry,

It is a time period thing. The early style Fulton receivers only had the one triggerplate screw just by the trigger guard. Thumb through Drew's picture trail and it shows both kinds of Fulton receivers.

Dave
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/24/12 11:03 PM
Dave--The SN visible in the 2nd photo, 1st post dates this particular gun to 1925. I could be misremembering, but I think I've seen Fultons older than that with the 3 screws. But then I don't remember any, period, with a single screw. Maybe all the ones I've seen have been later guns.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/24/12 11:42 PM
c. 1919 1st style floor plate screw

Later cyanide colors, 2 screw receiver and 3 screw floor plate

Posted By: SKB Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/25/12 01:00 AM
nice looking colors Michael. Thomas and yourself are turning out some nice work.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/25/12 07:16 PM
Looks nice
Posted By: pod Re: Hunter boxlock star grade coloring - 08/25/12 08:22 PM
i just came across this discussion and im in the process of restoring a 20 guage hunter special serial #34139 [with the birds] im having a hard time figuring out how to install the sear springs. these sears are "L" shaped that pivot on screws on the top side of the receiver. as shown on numrich schematic under fulton shotgun. does anyone know how these are installed?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com