doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Cleaning A Stock - What? - 06/30/12 12:21 PM
Hi all, so what you use to clean an oil finished stock? Just talking a little surface grim and soil. Nothing major.

Thanks so much!

Greg
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Cleaning A Stock - What? - 06/30/12 12:54 PM
Nothing, when it is wet and dirty, wipe it off with a soft, damp cloth and the dry and buff it.

If you like, rub a tiny spot of linseed oil into it and buff it off. Avoid the chequer.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Cleaning A Stock - What? - 06/30/12 02:22 PM
Murphy's Oil Soap mixed with very warm water. Use an old toothbrush on the checkering. When dry, wipe it down with Clenzoil.
JR
Posted By: 2holer Re: Cleaning A Stock - What? - 06/30/12 05:37 PM
Brichwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner; does a real good job of taking off grime and leaving the sheen.
Posted By: James M Re: Cleaning A Stock - What? - 06/30/12 06:37 PM
As a member of the KIS(Keep It Simple) school of firearms maintenance I'd recommend the following:
Drive to Lowes or Home Depot and buy yourself a can of "Restor A Finish" in Walnut and some 0000 steel wool. Use it to clean your stock and it will hide minor blemish's as well.
I've used it on multiple stocks with minor dings and dirt issues and it's worked every time.
Jim
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Cleaning A Stock - What? - 06/30/12 06:57 PM
A spot of lemon grass oil on a slightly damp rag. The moisture on the rag will force the LGO into the top, and hold the grime. I've seen some guns that have the checkering packed with soil. LGO lightly scrubbed on with a toothbrush and taken off with clean, dry cotton cloth.
Or, pass on the guns so neglected.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com