doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dave Schiller Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 12:40 AM
Well, why not? We're among friends. I haven't seen any reference to this recently, so I'll assume this is a first. Sorry if I'm repeating something. A buddy of mine told me today that Schwing's book on the Superposed has gone out of print and prices have gone up drastically. He saw a copy at a gun show last week at $200. I searched the web just now and Amazon lists it at $225. Other sites range up to $595. Amazon UK lists it at 325 pounds sterling (no symbol on my keyboard) which today is about $625 US. If you see one in a book store at the old price, BUY IT. Ian, stop making notes in your copy.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 12:51 AM
man that beats Parkers,Colt Saa's and Superposed's in ROI !
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 01:14 AM
I just checked my favorite source on the net. Two copies. $595 and 1,250. Goodness.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 04:51 AM
A year ago Christmas, I bought a copy off ebay for "buy it now $25" from a local Calif bookstore. It's about as new as it could be. They obviously didn't know what they had. I saw other sellers of the book asking near $200 at the time.

I've been trying to buy another copy for less than $100. No luck.
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 06:03 AM
Choke, sputter, cough!!!!!
I got a "like new" eBay copy several years ago (for cheap) and gifted it to my partner. He whetted my Superposed appetite in 1972 with his "brought back from Germany Rod & Gun club" example.
Haven't really looked for any more on eBay, and I don't think I'll bother now.
Dave, I'll keep marking up my Super book, and the others too - can't get it out of my blood.
Ordered my copy of the new LC Smith book early on but don't have it yet- it's supposed to be a total heart-stopper. Just imagine what those books are going to be worth when the presses shut down.
Supply and Demand - WOW!!
Posted By: Richard Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 06:38 AM
I'm going to give my copy a big hug tonight before I go to bed!
Posted By: rabbit Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 11:41 AM
Must be the ones with the centerfold. Got mine for 50 bucks at Borders.

jack
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 01:23 PM
Dave S;
If you use Windows hold down alt & win symbol keys & type in 156 when you turn the two keys loose you get this; £.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Jakearoo
I just checked my favorite source on the net. Two copies. $595 and 1,250. Goodness.

damn I am going to pull mine out of bookcase and put it in the safe !
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 04:59 PM
Yeah, that LC Houchins deluxe edition is now not the most expensive book on my shelf.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 05:07 PM
Time to trade the book for another shotgun me thinks!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 05:10 PM
Yup, flatbed scan it or quicker yet, shoot digital pics of each page, sell it for the $1k and still have a reference, and another gun...before the price falls when someone wises up and reprints this book.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 09:22 PM
Uh, guys... suppose there have been any actual sales at these prices? The book has been available for quite some time, and I gotta believe anyone who wanted one bought it at $50. Lack of supply dosen't necessarily mean an increase in demand.

I borrowed one when I wanted to get smart on the Superposed. Wasn't worth the $50 to actually own a copy... The M-21 book is a different story.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 09:26 PM
Actually, the ebay sales of this book that I've followed recently (the last year) have ranged from about $150-low/mid 200s.
Posted By: sakmyk Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 09:41 PM
Same has happened to Alexander Gray's 'The Hammerless Double Rifle' (Wolfe 1994) - You can amuse yourself (particularly if you own the book) by searching through the web for that. I checked only Amazon, and they offered three copies ($750-$850).

I bought mine for 30 bucks or so in 2000 or 2001.

Regards,
Saku
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 09:58 PM
Gunsmithing by Mills and Barnes from '87 almost requires a home equity loan.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Dare I post this? - 02/07/07 11:08 PM
Schwing's M42 book on Amazon is shown at $350. Glad I got the M21, M42 and the Superposed books at their initial prices!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Dare I post this? - 02/08/07 05:13 AM
Wow!! My Superposed book is still in new condition. Sorry to say my Model 21 book looks like it has been through the mill.
Posted By: Tuomo Re: Dare I post this? - 02/08/07 11:02 AM
I am happy owner of Schwing´s Superposed book.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com