doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PeteM Stevens Springfield dating - 02/06/07 05:36 PM
I am trying to track down an approximate year range. The is a sxs that has the following markings.

Springfield Arms Company
Chicopee Falls, Mass, U.S.A.
Pat.Apr 20-1915
Serial Number T701XX

So, how long did Stevens use the Springfield name?

Thanks,

Pete
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/06/07 10:08 PM
According to the "Gun Trader's Guide" the Springfield name was discontinued in 1948. Perhaps others can confrm or refute. The 1915 patent date indicates it as a Model 315 Stevens, which looks very similar to the 311 line except it is striker fired rather than having internal hammers. If you note the two pins through the rear of the frame on the 315 the rear pin will be higher than the front one, while on the 311, 530, Fox B etc the rear one is lower. This is because of the different sear arrangment. Incidently I learned that from Russ, how we Miss his vast Knowledge!!
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 01:38 AM
I have a 5100 that is marked Springfield.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 03:23 AM
Miller, thanks. I know there is an early and late model. But can not find any info on how to tell them apart.

Pete
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
I have a 5100 that is marked Springfield.

Me too.
Posted By: marklart Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 03:58 PM
Stevens Springfield Dating? Personally, I would never date someone named Stevens or Springfield, but if it floats your boat....

Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 04:51 PM
Connie Stevens? Dusty Springfield? Am I showing how old I am?
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
Connie Stevens? Dusty Springfield? Am I showing how old I am?

Either of those in a heatbeat (except Dusty's dead).
Posted By: PeteM Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 06:08 PM
The gun in question is a 410. It does not have the appearance of the usual flat sided 311, plus the patent date interested me. I was hoping to get a better idea of exactly when Stevens started offering a 410 sxs. The reason has to with better understanding the history and development in this country. Gabriel in his book on the 410 states that Parker was definitely the 1st American company to offer a sxs in 410. I am not sure that is accurate, so am attempting to track down other possibilities. I believe that Stevens, Crescent, Johnson, Hopkins or Harrington could have had an offering in the market place before then.

Here is the gun:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65367377

The serial number alone tells me this was a later manufactured gun, but I am still curious as to how early they offered them in 410.

I suppose I could buy reprints of every maker's catalog for a 10 year span, but I am also aware that sometimes a company will offer a gun that is not in their catalogs. So they are not a final avenue.

Pete
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 06:55 PM
It'll probably have short chambers. I had one like it ten years ago, a real beater, and sold it for $150.00. There is a weakness in this design involving the cocking yoke. But even if it breaks it is easy to fix. Good luck with your Oldie.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/07/07 09:14 PM
I have a reprint of a 1927 Sears catalog. In it they list a Ranger, A Stevens model 330 & an Eastern Arms, all of which I am fairly certain were built by Stevens. If the pic of the Ranger is accurate it has the 315 action. All three are offered in .410, as well as an Iver Johnson. No mention is made of chamber length, but in their shell listings they only list the .410 in 2" length with 5/16oz shot & 2½" length with 3/8oz of shot. We normally think of Stevens guns not being SN'd until after the 1968 Gun Control Act, but this is not a post '68 gun.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Stevens Springfield dating - 02/08/07 03:30 AM
chopperlump,
Thanks for the info. If it didn't have 2" chambers, it would not be what I am searching for. By the way, I had no intention of purchasing. I don't need to own it.

Miller,
Thanks as always. '27 would be the outer edge of activity. Ithaca produced a sxs 410 in the same year. But your information reinforces my belief about the Gabriel book. I can confirm single barrel 410's as early as 1913, by Stevens.

I have tracked down the origin of the 44XL by the way. It had been in use for nearly 25 years before it was ever chambered in a smooth bore. It was a common loading for the Winchester 1873. This was in addition to the 44-40 chambered guns that were out there.

Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com