doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: L. Brown UP Side by Side Classic - 02/17/12 09:10 PM
There are some changes in store for the Midwest's oldest side by side shoot this year. The "UP Shoot" will be expanded from 3 days to 4. Over Father's Day weekend, as usual, but starting Thursday 14 June. Registered shooters will be able to shoot the 3 events (sporting clays, pigeon ring, flurry) multiple times without paying anything beyond their entry fee. The extra day and flexible scheduling (shooters will squad themselves) should make for a more relaxed event.

As usual, some great prize guns (8 total) will be given away. The ones I've seen include an Ithaca NID Field Grade 20ga; a Fox Sterlingworth 16ga with 30" barrels; and a Remington 1889 hammergun in 16ga with steel barrels.

For further information and to print off a registration form, go to: www.stsportsmen.com. Don't wait too long to register. The UP Shoot usually fills up quickly!
Posted By: murphy Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/18/12 05:39 AM
please explain pigeon ring and flurry, i do understand sporting clays. thanks
Posted By: L. Brown Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/18/12 12:27 PM
The pigeon ring is a "simulated" pigeon shoot. The targets have a little orange cloth "tail" attached to them, and to score a kill, not only do you have to break the target, but the "tail" has to fall inside the ring. The trap that throws the targets is located in the middle of the ring and rotates 360 degrees, so you've got targets coming straight at you, going straight away from you, and everything in between.

The flurry is 76 targets in 2 1/2 minutes, from 2 (maybe 3--they've done it both ways) traps. Most shooters use a friend to load for them; some use 2 guns. And a heavy glove on the leading hand where it contacts the barrels! It's like driven bird shooting, on steroids.
Posted By: Larry S Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/18/12 04:29 PM
The Yupper shoot always was a great shoot and a good value. It seems that the shoot is going to be a even better value.
Posted By: Eis Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/18/12 10:16 PM
Larry that's great news and as Larry says will make even more of a better value. See you guys this summer. Eric
Posted By: Leonard Wurman Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/19/12 07:29 PM
The shooting activities at the Yuper shoot are terrific, but only part of the fun.

Vendors of vintage fine guns, of modern ammo for vintage guns, and of SXS accoutrements display in both the large clubhouse and under outdoor tents. That alone is almost worth the price of admission. Who knows, you may walk away with the gun of your dreams.

However, the finest attraction is the camaraderie among like-minded folks. Socializing occurs all day, but once the shooting is over, the socializing begins in earnest at the various camp "compounds" that rise on the grounds, each usually around someone's RV or "drinking" tent. New attendees are welcome. Proper spirits and grog, with the grilling of steak and shrimp, and just great conversation, make every evening a pleasure. Bring some steaks and you'll find a grill.

Of note, there are many ways to spell Yuper, and because this is the UP, all are correct.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/19/12 11:06 PM
How many shells can one expect to shoot in a long weekend at the Yooper?
Posted By: mark Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/20/12 02:49 AM
Greg, under the old rules I would go though 15-20 boxes. With the new rules I think it depends how much fun your sholder and walet can stand!!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/20/12 01:27 PM
On another BB, someone asked whether non-shooting visitors were welcome. Definitely, and parking is free--unlike at some of these events! There will be numerous vendors displaying quality sxs. Good place to come and look, talk trade, buy, sell. And June is a good time to visit the UP. It's almost summer by then.
Posted By: Montana Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/20/12 02:40 PM
In theory, one can shoot a lot more under the new plan. First, you can shoot each event as many times as you can get around to it. Entrants will shoot only once that counts though for each of the three events.
Posted By: lvandrie Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/20/12 05:05 PM
Is there any shooting available for shooters that just show up? Side shoots etc.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/20/12 06:06 PM
Are there plenty of motel rooms close by for anyone that just shows up or are reservations recomended? I plan on hobo'ing out to Henderson, NV before this next deployment to see my sister. I usually run South, but this might be a good excuse to run the Hi Line. My luck I'll have drill that weekend anyways.
Posted By: Eis Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/20/12 07:21 PM
There is five stand and two man flurry and sometimes another shooting event for side events.

There are plenty of hotel in Iron Mt (about 20 minutes away)so you should have a problem getting a room.
Posted By: mark Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/21/12 01:16 AM
Ivanorie, There will only be shooting for entrants. The organizers of the event wanted the registered shooters to have full access to all events. They feel it would not be right for a registered shooter to have to wait behind a walk on shooter. Non shooters are still welcome to come, look and hang out. Guest wishing to partake in the Saturday meal will now be charges $25 down from $50

Mark
Posted By: R.Wilson Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/21/12 05:15 PM
As a long time participant at the UP SXS Championship as a registered shooter, I feel someone on the board at the STSC should on their current web site post the fact that non participants will not being allowed to shoot at this year's event . Channing is not an easy access location, and I know some of my non competitive friends who accompany me to this shoot to view vendors and shoot on the practice day, and side events are unhappy about this change in policy. I'm not saying change it but make sure visitors are fully aware of this change. Also a list of signed up shooters by zip code would confirm that their entry has been received, as in the past.
Posted By: mark Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/21/12 10:01 PM
From the Yooper site:

"Those of you who still have questions should call Clark Aylworth at 906-396-1335 or Mike Monte at 715-889-0811. Ehibitors should call Kim Aylworth at 906-396-4029.

We hope you enjoy our new venue, and we will welcome your comments and suggestions."
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/22/12 11:14 AM
What do you recommend for chokes in the Pigeon Ring event?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/22/12 12:45 PM
Some guys go tight and tighter. I think M/F is a pretty good choice. Except on the birds coming right at you, shots will be fairly long--especially if you miss with your first shot. And on the ones coming at you, F in the 2nd barrel won't hurt, because you probably won't have time to shoot again if you miss with the 1st barrel.
Posted By: Montana Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/22/12 02:19 PM
See updates here: http://www.stsportsmen.com/
Posted By: Larry S Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/22/12 07:56 PM
I think the new four day program will allow shooters that need to be home for Fathers day a chance to enjoy this great event, and still be home sunday if needed (Win-Win)
Posted By: R.Wilson Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/22/12 09:49 PM
The STSC site states registered and non registered shooters will be able to shoot sporting clays,flurry.pigeon ring, and side events. Is this correct? Thanks
Posted By: mark Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/22/12 10:05 PM
Mr Wilson I can't find anything about Non registered shooters on the new site.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/22/12 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: R.Wilson
The STSC site states registered and non registered shooters will be able to shoot sporting clays,flurry.pigeon ring, and side events. Is this correct? Thanks

That's not the way I read it, this copied from their site:

"A big difference is the amount of rounds you can shoot for your entry money.  The shooter can shoot as much or as little as they want to for all four days.  There will not be side events.  All shooters will be registered, and they can pick the score sheets to turn in for their official score." 
Posted By: Montana Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/23/12 03:07 PM
The "all shooters will be registered" is intended to convey that all shooters must be registered.

That is, the entry fee is $325 for all who wish to shoot.

But, call Clark or one of the others to hear the whole deal.
Posted By: Eis Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/23/12 05:16 PM
Not sure I understand, how are they going to run the pigeon ring if sporting clays is going on as about 4 positions of the SC are covered by the pigeon ring...It's too bad they cut out the side events we lost a couple of shooters because of that and I really liked their 5 stand.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/23/12 11:01 PM
Eis, they won't do pigeon ring and SC simultaneously, for the reasons you suggest. When I spoke with some of the guys up there, they were thinking pigeon ring in the morning/SC in the afternoon.
Posted By: R.Wilson Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/23/12 11:23 PM
Please list the path to the new web site Thanks http://www.stsportsmen.com/ listed on page 2 of this thread does not get me to the new site where the changes are listed.
Posted By: Eis Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/23/12 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Eis, they won't do pigeon ring and SC simultaneously, for the reasons you suggest. When I spoke with some of the guys up there, they were thinking pigeon ring in the morning/SC in the afternoon.

Ok that makes sense on their web site it sounds as if they were running all three events at the same time. Going to miss the 5 stand course, as I felt it was one of the best that I had shot. Eric
Posted By: L. Brown Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/24/12 12:55 PM
Originally Posted By: R.Wilson
Please list the path to the new web site Thanks http://www.stsportsmen.com/ listed on page 2 of this thread does not get me to the new site where the changes are listed.

Your link works for me. Then click on "events" to get to the UP Shoot.
Posted By: R.Wilson Re: UP Side by Side Classic - 02/24/12 01:02 PM
Thank you so much, I must have had some severe senior moments.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com