doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jimmy W Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 06:28 AM
Well, after years of holding on to so many guns- several of them Model 21s, I recently sold most of my collection. I sold a 20 gauge Browning Supperposed made in 1960 in about 99%, a Grade 5 Model 12, a NIB Browning BSS, 3 Colt Diamondback pistols- 2 of them NIB, a Beretta 686 X MONO Trap shotgun almost NIB and 5 Model 21s. One 21 was a Custom Grade in about 100% that I bought at Jaqua's about 10 years ago for $5000.00 and just sold it for $11,000. And I made several thousand dollars on the other Model 21s. I guess I got tired of having all of these guns sitting around collecting dust and always being afraid of putting a scratch on them. So it was time to get rid of them. I still have a few 21s, a beater for hunting, a TRAP Grade that was shipped from Winchester on the day I was born, and one of the few Pigeon Grades from the Custom Shop.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 06:31 AM
And I took the money and paid cash for this: I guess hobbies come and go.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 06:34 AM
Posted By: James M Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 07:22 AM
Well: As a fellow Corvette owner all I can say is whatever rings your bell!!
Jim
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 10:41 AM
What a waste! smirk
I have always wanted a Corvette most of my life, but lets get real!
What length chambers has it got?
cool car. get real about what? care to expound on that comment?
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 12:14 PM
Not my idea of a hunting vehicle but what ever flips your flapper. I hope your guns went to good homes.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 12:26 PM
All you need is a new gun rack for the Vette and you are golden!

Congrats on your mid-life crisis and very nice new toy.

Drive safe and get out and shoot those remaining Winchesters. You have no excuse for not getting to the gun club quickly now.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 12:28 PM
Not why most of us do this but in 10 years the car will be worth less than a third of what he just paid.

His gun collection would likely have risen in value.
Good for you Jimmy.

The hoarders cannot understand your reasons.

You'll get 100X more enjoyment from that car in your remaining days than a bunch of old guns. Better to live while you can than hoard things so that only your uncaring heirs benefit from them.

Life is about living and enjoying.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 12:40 PM
Way to go Jimmy. Good for you. Your collection probably yielded you a better return than the stock market and no commissions or taxes to boot. I hope to get my wife one of these cars one day, as that is her dream car. Nice car.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 12:56 PM
RedofTx,
Years ago when my late wife was still a young mom and still had a lead foot, I bought her a little bright red Porche 914 with vanity plates that read "BUY BUY". She loved it!
Steve
Posted By: JayCee Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 01:15 PM
Congrats Jimmy.

The 'Vette you get to enjoy on a daily basis and still have some doubles left.

Way to go!

JC
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 01:30 PM
Good for you! Still have a few of the guns and this toy also, can't beat it, life is good. You know when you stop and think of it, on a Sunday afternoon shoot, you will spend as much in shooting as you will driving. You will love the Corvette.
Enjoy your new toy!
Corvettes are realy nice, I've always liked them.

With kind regards,
Jani
I'm not a Corvette fan, but then I'm not a Model 21 fan either, so I guess you did OK wink.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 02:13 PM
Enjoy the Vette Jim !,
we can't spend all our money on guns,a bit of fun is good to keep ya young and it looks like a matched pair of s/s from the rear.Like I used say in my youth,I spend most of my money on fast cars,loose women and drinks.The rest I wasted.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 02:59 PM
And you were afraid of scratching your guns!
Posted By: rabbit Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 03:41 PM
A vette is a vette but I'd say you've an awfully good eye for the real appreciators, Jimmy.

jack
Good on ya! I am kinda gonna do the same thing.....
Posted By: James M Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Not why most of us do this but in 10 years the car will be worth less than a third of what he just paid.

You're right but Corvettes tend to run value wise as an inverse bell shaped curve. Prices tend to go down for the first 20 years then start back up again. This has been true for generations C1 thru C4 and I expect it will eventually happen to later generations as well. I sure wish I had just kept the earlier Corvettes I've owned over the years as financially they sure as hell would have outperformed my IRA.
Jim
Posted By: craigd Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 04:29 PM
Corvettes just don't appeal to me, but nice car and I'm all for someone getting any of the wants that they can justify. Investment potential might be way down on the list here. I'd have looked at a five year old model of whatever was catching my attention and quickly realize how forgettable some of these things are.
Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
Well, after years of holding on to so many guns- several of them Model 21s, I recently sold most of my collection. I sold a 20 gauge Browning Supperposed made in 1960 in about 99%, a Grade 5 Model 12, a NIB Browning BSS, 3 Colt Diamondback pistols- 2 of them NIB, a Beretta 686 X MONO Trap shotgun almost NIB and 5 Model 21s. One 21 was a Custom Grade in about 100% that I bought at Jaqua's about 10 years ago for $5000.00 and just sold it for $11,000. And I made several thousand dollars on the other Model 21s. I guess I got tired of having all of these guns sitting around collecting dust and always being afraid of putting a scratch on them. So it was time to get rid of them. I still have a few 21s, a beater for hunting, a TRAP Grade that was shipped from Winchester on the day I was born, and one of the few Pigeon Grades from the Custom Shop.

Bravo. Anything that makes one happy is highly commendable. Happy folks usually have longer more fulfilling lifespans.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 04:48 PM
I had an E-type some years ago. Had my mid-life crisis early so I could get on and collect guns. I am selling some guns but only to put back into another one. Maybe I'll have a later-life crisis and get an Aston. Lagopus.....
I sold a gun for $1500 once to help buy groceries when times were hard...talk about quick loss of investment. But, as has been said, 'whatever flips your flapper!'
Posted By: docbill Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 05:49 PM
Wow, hope you like it. Personally I would have taken the money and added some to it and bought a 911 SC. Faster and hold their resale value.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 07:05 PM
Both take fuel and move a projectile smile
Well done !
Hope you enjoy
Mike
In the words of Tom T Hall "Younger women, older wiskey, faster horses and more money".
Well done!

You can only shoot one gun at a time!
Yes, but it is nice to have a stable straining at the bit. What ever winds your clock.
Posted By: James M Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 08:15 PM
To put this discussion into perspective:
When it comes to guns,cars, or any of the other fine and enjoyable items in our lives, I keep reminding myself that I'm just a temporary caretaker. My older guns had at least one and probably several previous owners. We can't take any of this stuff with us when our time comes. However; I'm hoping that we can at least take our memories.
Jim
Posted By: King Brown Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 10:02 PM
Taking our memories, Jim, yes. For many of us, it's consolation we've seen the best of it.

Be nice if you had enough money left to buy a young blonde for the passenger seat ?
Posted By: Buzz Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Be nice if you had enough money left to buy a young blonde for the passenger seat ?
jOe: I would rather have the young blonde than either the Win Model 21 or the Corvette. But one must keep in mind, they ARE one of the most expensive things in the world!
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/28/11 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Originally Posted By: canvasback

You're right but Corvettes tend to run value wise as an inverse bell shaped curve. Prices tend to go down for the first 20 years then start back up again. This has been true for generations C1 thru C4 and I expect it will eventually happen to later generations as well. I sure wish I had just kept the earlier Corvettes I've owned over the years as financially they sure as hell would have outperformed my IRA.
Jim

LOL, That's why I wish I had kept my 1967 RS/SS Camaro convertible, my 1972 Pantera, my 1972 Alfa Romeo GTV, my 1972 E-type V12 convertible and a number of others. However, at some point I decided it was easier to store the guns than the cars and sailboats I had previously been consumed by. Re-reading my first comment reminds me that it wasn't clear that I supported the OP's move. Was more relating it to my own experiences. Hope he's happy, sure he is and I love 'vettes.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/29/11 12:06 AM
I'll stick with my old Mercedes and keep all of my guns. When one set of barrels gets hot I'll grab another set. grin
I think I know the Blonde, but she is for rent, not for sale...
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/29/11 02:15 AM
Hey, at least you got to call the shots and got the right prices. 8 years ago I HAD to sell 95% of my gun collection, meaning get the best cash I could. Sold all my Colts - SAA's, Gold Cups, for chump change. Only a hjandful of quality shotguns & rifles. I really don't want to actually go on listing all the others, believe it or not it still raises my hackles to think about it!

Anyway, money situation is better now, I've got a really nice collection, concentrated mainly on doubles. I only have 2 handguns now, as opposed to almost 30. Who needs 'em anyway, right?

Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/29/11 03:22 AM
You had fun with guns and now you can have fun with your vette. Local dealer told me the average age of vette buyers in his dealership was 55+. Not a young mans car but a car to a man who wishes he was young again and who among us doesn't wish that some days. For the other days you can drive your truck. Enjoy.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/29/11 05:48 AM
Jimmy,
Glad you got something you wanted more. Money is buying things you want. Enjoy.
Whether we agree with JimmyW in his to buy a Vette is irrelevant, IMO. He did very well in being able to sell the guns for a profit. I don't know Jimmy, but I'm willing to bet that was not accidental, given this depressed economy. Betcha' he adheres to the idea that you make money on guns when you buy them, not when you sell them.

SRH
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/29/11 02:34 PM
That is why since '72, there has been a '62 Corvette in my garage. I thought it was expensive back then, now I wouldn't want to have to buy it back if I did sell it. Those surviving me can worry about that. I still feel like I am 19 again driving it, just as I was when I bought the car. But, it doesn't matter what you like, as long as you like it. Just as the old joke says, "who you going to please with that thing!" the answer is "ME!"
Hi all, just joined the board after several years of lurking.
Corvettes are great, love my 09 Jet Stream Blue Coupe. But since I have recently retired I'm thinking about selling it and putting the proceeds into future hunting trips. Of course these trips will have no residual value, except making better bird dogs and memories.---Decisions, Decisions.
Posted By: James M Re: Gun collection sold.................. - 10/29/11 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Katt
That is why since '72, there has been a '62 Corvette in my garage. I thought it was expensive back then, now I wouldn't want to have to buy it back if I did sell it. Those surviving me can worry about that. I still feel like I am 19 again driving it, just as I was when I bought the car. But, it doesn't matter what you like, as long as you like it. Just as the old joke says, "who you going to please with that thing!" the answer is "ME!"

Boy Dave:
Did your post bring back some memories. My wife and I went on our Honeymoon in our 1962 327/300hp Roman Red Corvette.
This was back in 1966. Always regretted selling that Vette. However I still have the same wife and a newer Corvette convertible to tool around in. It is now finally cool enough here to put the top down and it will probably stay down until late next Spring.
N.B: We have the longest continuois running weekly antique and classic car show here in Scottsdale. It's been held every Saturday night for many years at the Pavillions Shopping Center parking lot.
Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com