doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: marklart Lefever GE restoration - 09/15/11 09:07 PM
This is going to be old hat for many of you here, but I decided to have my recently acquired Lefever GE 12ga re-case colored, and now that I have it put back together, I wanted to show it off. This is my first time having a gun re-cased, and I'm very happy with the work, done by Mike Hunter of Mike Hunter Restorations in Missouri. This is a rare 6lb 60z special order gun that I felt deserved a full restoration. Even though the barrels are a nice plum brown, I would still like to have them refinished at some point after the season is over, to bring out the damascus pattern. Anyway, here's some pics:

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 12:25 AM
Great looking gun, Mark. That stock your handywork or the way God made it?...Geo
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 01:12 AM
Thanks. The stock is 95% God wink
Posted By: Hawaiian Uplands Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 04:17 AM
I love the simple beauty of the old SXS damascus guns. Pride in workmanship that lasts over a hundred years!!
Posted By: johnr Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 11:49 AM
I like it Mark, gorgeous gun.
John
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 06:43 PM
Mark that is a beauty! Bobby
Posted By: Philbert Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 06:49 PM
Very, very nice.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 08:50 PM
Thanks again. For folks here who don't visit the Lefever Forum, here's what it looked like when I bought it. It was pretty rough:

It also is the only Lefever I've seen with a factory original ribbed butt instead of a butt plate (the stock is serial numbered to the gun):

It's also missing cocking indicators, and it has a rare swamped rib. A very cool gun. I feel fortunate to own such an interesting piece of history, that will [hopefully] be death on birds this fall.
Posted By: dollysods Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/16/11 11:07 PM
She's a beauty that for sure Mark but.........where are the hammers laugh.

Rick
Posted By: Stubtwist Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/17/11 01:07 PM
Very nice and I like the colors of the case coloring. When you get those Damascus barrels redone, this gun is really going to pop!

Be sure to send updated pics when that is done. Who are you going to send the barrels to?
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/17/11 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Stubtwist
Very nice and I like the colors of the case coloring. When you get those Damascus barrels redone, this gun is really going to pop!

Be sure to send updated pics when that is done. Who are you going to send the barrels to?

I'm not sure yet. Probably Buck Hamlin or Keith Kearcher. I'm open to other possibilities too however.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/17/11 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: dollysods
She's a beauty that for sure Mark but.........where are the hammers laugh.

Rick

No worries Rick, I've got that covered. I still have my Husky and I've got another 16 in the works that I'm hoping to turn into a custom show piece.
Posted By: Bill G. Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/17/11 04:16 PM
Mark,

That is a great looking gun. I sometimes wish mine was a straight stock also. I showed off your work to my family and friends over labor day weekend. The were all stunned at the results. We would make a great looking pair in the field.

Bill G.
Posted By: Stubtwist Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/17/11 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Larson
I'm not sure yet. Probably Buck Hamlin or Keith Kearcher. I'm open to other possibilities too however.

Brad Bachelder Grand Rapids, Michigan does very nice work. 616-459-3636
Posted By: al Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/20/11 09:01 PM
Mark,

Do you have a pic of the ribbed butt after refinish? Did you recut it or leave as is? I am still kicking myself for not pulling the buy it now trigger on this gun- I had several questions for the seller and was probably reading the e-mail with answers when you bought it.
Posted By: Genelang Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/20/11 10:22 PM
You could have saved some money if you'd let Ed Good do the CCH.

smile
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/20/11 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill G.
Mark,

That is a great looking gun. I sometimes wish mine was a straight stock also. I showed off your work to my family and friends over labor day weekend. The were all stunned at the results. We would make a great looking pair in the field.

Bill G.

I'm sure you're right! Our guns might look good together too.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/20/11 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: al
Mark,

Do you have a pic of the ribbed butt after refinish? Did you recut it or leave as is? I am still kicking myself for not pulling the buy it now trigger on this gun- I had several questions for the seller and was probably reading the e-mail with answers when you bought it.

Wow, I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did then. I know what that's like though. I knew someone would snatch it soon if I didn't. I did re-cut the butt a bit, but not extensively. It does look better now:

As a special order gun with a 24xxx serial #, Uncle Dan apparently saw no need to stamp the grade on the frame either:

Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/20/11 11:36 PM
Very, very nice.
Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/20/11 11:38 PM

Here is one of its cousins -- another Lefever GE, this one with steel barrels. The case colors are older, and not as spectacular.

JERRY

Posted By: eightbore Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/20/11 11:50 PM
How about a picture of the swamped rib?
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/21/11 12:04 PM
From what I can see of the rib in the pics it appears to me to be a concave rib & not a swamped one. A swamped rib is one which drops down between the barrels rther than being raised thus level from breech to muzzle. Many early Lefevers are found with the concave form rather than flat.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Lefever GE restoration - 09/21/11 02:45 PM
Miller, you are correct, it is a concave rib. You mentioned that to me before, and I still got it wrong. Thanks for the correction. Again. smile
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com