doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/21/11 11:14 PM
My books are still packed away.

Thanks!

Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/21/11 11:17 PM
In this picture, can you identify the patent mark on the left side of the action flat?

Thanks!

Posted By: ellenbr Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/21/11 11:29 PM
All London but can't say on the patent.

Kind Regards

Raimey
Posted By: 21aa94 Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/21/11 11:30 PM
Crowned V and GP are London proof per Nigel Brown's Volume Two.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 12:00 AM
Age? "Not For Ball" is not present, so prior to its use?
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 12:39 AM
Hi MIke, I'm thinking the J.P. is James Purdey and and other is
W.& C. Scott so we have two patents,a Scott spindle with the Purdey double underbite. Pre-1875. JMHO
Terry
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 02:00 AM
Thanks Terry.

I forgot the double underbites were a Purdey patent.

I have been playing with black rifles the last few years and my memory for proofs was never very good. cool
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 03:28 AM
I'm heading in the other direction. The absence of the "not for ball" and the 12b and/or 14 on the flats make me think it is not in the pre-1875 window, but rather on the other side of the 1875-1887 threshold. If I knew more about what I was looking at, who was alleged to have made it, etc, I'd be more confident.

Pre-1875? Weren't they still beating each other with clubs at that point? smile

All jokes aside, how many breechloading guns existed in Great Britain pre-1875? Lang had a patent. Lefacheau (sp?) although French, may have licensed something. Manton? Purdey?

Odds have to be in favor of a later date unless you explain that this a pinfire or something else in the novel/interesting category.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 03:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
The absence of the "not for ball" and the 12b and/or 14 on the flats make me think it is not in the pre-1875 window, but rather on the other side of the 1875-1887 threshold. If I knew more about what I was looking at, who was alleged to have made it, etc, I'd be more confident.

Low patent use numbers lead me to agree with Terry.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 09:04 AM
Not sure when "Not For Ball" came in but I have a Mortimer with a definite date of 1881 with similar proof marks. It does not have then "Not For Ball" designation either.
Posted By: GJZ Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 01:04 PM
1875-1887 for ''Not for Ball.''
Posted By: PeteM Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 01:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
In the 19th century British system, low patent numbers have no relationship to year of filing. They started each year with patent #1 and worked up from there. So #10,000-1870 is older than #399-1890. You need to know the year as well as the number to make sense of those marks.

I can not find either of these patent numbers. I searched all 7 volumes of "Patents for Inventions of Small Arms" and all 3 volumes of Nigel Brown. Hopefully some one else can find them.

Pete
Posted By: Montana Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 04:34 PM
Those numbers associated with the patent figures are probably use numbers?
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Montana
Those numbers associated with the patent figures are probably use numbers?

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner

That is what I thought also, not the actual patent number.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 05:28 PM
BTW - This shotgun is a Charles Boswell 12ga hammergun
Posted By: Ian Forrester Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 06:47 PM
Note that the "Not for Ball" was only applied if the barrels had some degree of choking.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 09:44 PM
Ah.....that makes sense. The Mortimer is essentially cylinder and tighter cylinder. Is the Boswell cylinder/cylinder?
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
Ah.....that makes sense. The Mortimer is essentially cylinder and tighter cylinder. Is the Boswell cylinder/cylinder?

I have no idea. I am just helping out a guy who likes black rifles but inherited this one and knows nothing about it. I have passed on what the kind folks here have told me.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: London or Birmingham Proofs?? - 02/22/11 10:47 PM
PS In a completely different story, I stumbled on a gentleman today with another Boswell. This one is a Try Gun!

He also has a Boss Try Gun, but that is another story.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com