doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid Stamping Replaces Engraving - 02/18/11 05:18 AM
What year(s) did metal stamping start being used in the lower tier, shall we say, British firearms rather than engraving as a cost saving method?
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Stamping Replaces Engraving - 02/18/11 10:26 AM
Hello Krackow,

I think that the earliest stampings on firearms would have been carried out in England by the Government Arsenals which produced very large numbers of the same pattern rifles.

Certainly the Locks on the Enfield .577 Muzzle loader of the 1850's were stamped usually with a Crown the letters VR and the name Enfield and a year date. The very large numbers produced couldn't have been hand engraved. Stamping was the only way markings could be applied economically. It is also likely that earlier locks produced at the 'Tower' were die stamped, but I haven't examined that many

Ornamental engraving was I believe, more often applied using a roller die than stamping.

Sam Colt used roller dies to produce cylinder scenes on his revolvers as early as 1836 at his Patterson Factory in NJ. Roller dies were also used to put the makers name and address on the barrels. So mechanically applied patterns were not new.

The above is not tremendously informative but it does provide some pointers. I'm fairly certain that the fine engraving even on economically priced 19th and early 20th C weapons was mainly hand done as engravers were numerous and wages were poor.

Harry
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Stamping Replaces Engraving - 02/18/11 10:28 AM
I heared at one time (before 1900) that engravers were the lowest paid in the gun trade ?
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Stamping Replaces Engraving - 02/19/11 03:50 AM
Many Thanks, Harry - Amazing reminder you pointed out (and Joe Ditto'ed) regarding the shabby wages engravers earned. We love our vintage guns and sometimes wonder about their adventures, often times neglecting to think about the blood, sweat and tears of their makers' day-to-day lives.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Stamping Replaces Engraving - 02/19/11 04:23 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I heared at one time (before 1900) that engravers were the lowest paid in the gun trade ?

Aren't they still? Considering the years of training and study required for top work?
Posted By: Small Bore Re: Stamping Replaces Engraving - 02/19/11 08:27 PM
Engravers make very good money if they are very good. They can work as much or as little as they wish.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com