doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: marklart No guts no glory - 02/06/11 06:19 PM
I enjoyed reading the older thread about project guns, so I thought I'd share one I'm working on. It's a svelte 12ga Husky model 50 (similar to the 51 except it lacks the dolls head and crossbolt).

The gun was in great shape mechanically and the wood was in perfect shape, but it had spray painted metal, peeling finish, and very plain grain. So I cleaned the metal and added some grain to the wood. Guided by the existing horizontal grain in the wood, I wanted to try a dark steak look against a light honey stain. I finished with a checkering pattern I designed from scratch. I'm still not a great checkerer (still using Dembart hand tools), but I'm starting to get better. I sent the barrels off to open up to skeet/skeet, as it will be my dedicated skeet gun. Not bad for less than $200 and about 15 hrs. work.

Here's some before/afters:

Posted By: Glenn Fewless Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 06:55 PM
Wow!

The checkering looks pretty good from what I can see in the pictures. Howsomever, the stock graining is wonderful! I would never have guessed it was not real.

Really nice work. Congratulations!

Glenn
Posted By: Chuck H Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 07:15 PM
Fantastic work!
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 07:42 PM
Beautifully done! Can I ask what type of paint you used to enhance the grain. I have tried and have had good luck laying down the grain but I seem to whip off the grain when oil finishing the stock.

Jeff G.
Posted By: gjw Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 08:18 PM
Hi all, great job Mark!! BTW, I've used Mark's services here just recently. He did a stock enhancment on my Grulla 209H, what a great job! The stock prior to his work, was rather ho hum, some grain, but not a bunch. He really made the stock look like a much higher grade of wood.

He has another one of my stocks right now and I plan on sending him another soon.

His turn around time is fast and the work is top notch!! I'm happy.

If you have a plan stock that you want to look like a million bucks, try Mark.

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: bbman3 Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 08:35 PM
My, My. What a great job! Bobby
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 09:56 PM
Jumbo shrimp? Svelte Husky!

Damn nice job, please share your technique?
Posted By: Dave K Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 10:32 PM
That is scary good !!

Man you could make a mint and put some high end blank sellers out of business if you bring the business model into to high volume.

Checkering looks pretty good to me I like the way you even have the enhanced grain in the checkering pattern.
Posted By: gjw Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 10:41 PM
Hi all, here's the Grulla that Mark did for me (pardon the background, well, with 8 kids!!!!):

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 10:51 PM
Wow everyone, thanks for all the kind comments! At 6lbs 13 oz., it really is a pretty svelte gun, and of course those round body actions feel great in the hands. Stout barrels too. I think hey are a great value, but most of 'em are beat up pretty bad and need a good going over. Let's just say my art school degree was a good investment, in many ways wink
Posted By: battle Re: No guts no glory - 02/06/11 11:32 PM
Beatuiful as always Mark. I have some work for you someday if i ever get around to finishing my job with the project.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: No guts no glory - 02/07/11 12:34 AM
Sounds good. If you have any extra Lefevers lying around you don't need I'm your guy.
Posted By: dollysods Re: No guts no glory - 02/07/11 01:03 AM
Hey Mark

Who said you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear laugh. You sure brought that old Husky back to life. Know what you mean about those back action hammerguns, they just beg to be held. The little Liege that fell into my lap by way of your generosity will forever have a home in my safe.

Rick
Posted By: RedofTx Re: No guts no glory - 02/07/11 02:25 PM
I would also recommend Mark Larson. He recently repaired, filled in wood, sanded, checkered, and finished a LeFever stock for me that was broken in two at the wrist. Because of this I was able to keep the gun all original and not have to put a replacement stock on it. It's refinished of course, but still original stock.
He does wonderful work.

thanks.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com