doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: crojac Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 03:40 AM
Can anyone recommend a hardware store side by side gunsmith that might be able to help me with my nitro special. I have lost faith in my local gunsmith. Thanks in advance.

Croj
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 04:10 AM
Would never recommend a hardware store gunsmith! Sounds like that's what you already have.
Posted By: Possumhunter Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 04:26 AM
Do you need parts? If so, what? I may have them.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 05:14 AM
Where do you live in the midwest? I could recomend a few around the Chicago area far western suburbs.
Steve
Posted By: crojac Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 12:34 PM
Don.. Your absolutely correct.. I should have said a great gunsmith that knows his way around the old Lefever - Nitro.

Rockdoc. I live in Eastern NE. That would be great if you could get me a few names of good gunsmiths.

Possumhunter. I have all the parts. I had the gunsmith break down the action (restoration effort) and now he doesn't know how to get the gun back together again. (shake head).

Thanks to all again

Croj
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 01:46 PM
I apologize to Croj for butting in on his post but Possumhunter do you have parts for the safety on a 16 gauge built in 1936?
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 04:08 PM
Crojac,
I haven't lived in the Chicago area since 12/2006. My favorite gunsmith when I lived there was located at Carters Gun Shop in the small (tiny) town of Shabbona IL, maybe 80 miles west of Chicago. There phone number is 815-824-2354. I always found their prices to be extremely reasonable and they did a repair on a 20 gauge Nitro Special for me in 2003. The gun needed a firing pin. They custom made and installed the firing pin for me for around $50-$60. Over the years they also removed a barrel dent and they fitted any number of recoil pads for me (I'm tall and need a 15" LOP). They used to charge $30 to install pads and always did such a nice job I never even considered installing a pad myself.
I hope this helps. BTW Carters was always a neat place to visit, it was in an old run-down building and it was like going back in time when you stepped through the door.
Steve
PS I wish I knew the gunsmiths name, he was a nice guy but pretty much kept to himself in his shop in the back and let his counter man handle the business up front.
Posted By: crojac Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/19/11 08:19 PM
Thanks very much. I've made the phone call. Spoke to John (nice guy). The action and triggers are headed to IL.
Posted By: Possumhunter Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/20/11 04:27 AM
I have a safety for a 12 gauge, not sure if it will work on a 16 or not.
Posted By: keith Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/20/11 05:12 AM
Crojac, you really can't call your guy a gunsmith if he can't reassemble a Nitro Special.
Posted By: crojac Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/20/11 02:39 PM
Keith. I would agree with that statement 100%. How he's remained in business. Given my experience with his shop. I have no idea. I will report back to the forum on the progress of the Lefever. Take care all.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/20/11 02:43 PM
The most difficult re-assembly task is putting the hammers back in.
Posted By: Steve I. Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 01/20/11 05:51 PM
Amen Walt, those hammers are backed by really strong springs!!
Posted By: crojac Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 02/15/11 02:51 AM
Guys. I just wanted to report back. It took all of 3 hrs for Carters Gun Shop to cut 2 pins, re-assemble the the action and ship it back to me. Cost $45.00. I have since put the gun back together and it runs like a champ. Rockdoc, thanks for the recommending Carters. I've give them a 5 star rating. I felt so sheepish about the $45.00 charge I threw in $30.00 extra. I can't tell you all what a relief it is to have this gun back together.

Thanks to all.

Jeff
Posted By: DrBob Re: Lefever Nitro Special Mechanic - 02/15/11 07:04 AM
I have a number of requests monthly for help on Nitro repairs. I don't know anything about repairing them or getting parts. However, this post has given me at least a place to start. In addition to your $30 "tip" you may have generated a little more business for your new found friend.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com