doublegunshop.com - home
Revdocdrew and others.
I count this as a 3 band Damascus. It should be a 5 band for this quality of gun. I hope I am wrong but need your input.
Posted By: Steve I. Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/16/11 04:31 AM
From what I can see walt, it's indeed 3 band
Posted By: Sliver Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/16/11 07:11 AM
Beautiful!
What kind of gun is it? With the "rope" theme I would think Mac Naughton, maybe Mortimer? Scottish?
Any more pics?
Posted By: Sliver Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/16/11 07:12 AM
Harkom?
Ithaca.
Now, Walt. Everyone knows Americans never made guns that fine. wink
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/16/11 12:26 PM
Walt,
What a beauty! Crass, special order? Looks higher than G-5. More hints please.
That's a hard pattern to read Walt, with the weld lines down the middle of each scroll. It's an 'Oxford' or Hufnagel variant called 'Rosen' and I agree is 3 Iron

Remington 'Oxford 4 S.J.'

Clabrough 'Duck & Quail'

BTW: The 1906 Sears catalog listed the Aubrey Model 60 as '5- Blade' damascus. In 1909 it was listed with '4-blade.'
I believe PeteM said one of his Aubreys has 5 Iron and would very much like to see a pic as I have never seen a 5 Iron barrel.

Posted By: Sliver Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/16/11 06:35 PM
Must be Greek.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/17/11 12:23 AM
Maybe Walt could tell us something about this Ithaca. I saw the gun several years ago when a friend displayed it (I think it is this gun). I recently saw the same gun (I think) for sale at a double gun show. I wonder if Walt owns it now?
Sorry to break it to you, Mr Snyder, but that's not Damascus it's GALVANIZED steel. Probably made out of some fake cowboy cookware for the fake cowboy shoots.

Oh yeah, someone mentioned its possible name in this thread so I'll ask: Why in the world would anyone name a beautiful gun a Crass? Defined by Webster (in part): thick, gross, fat, coarse, grossly stupid, dull, obtuse, tasteless.

OK, I don't know anything about great American guns, and I TRY to know something about great British guns, so I surrender: There's GOT to be an actual legitimate reason. Please, why the name?
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid

Oh yeah, someone mentioned its possible name in this thread so I'll ask: Why in the world would anyone name a beautiful gun a Crass? Defined by Webster (in part): thick, gross, fat, coarse, grossly stupid, dull, obtuse, tasteless.

I don't know anything about classic American doubles either, but I always assumed it was named after Crass the Rome politician that (if I got my Ancient History syraight) shared the last Triumvirate with Pompey and Ceasar. For a company with Ancient Greek name, that's not too far-fetched... Maybe they just forgot to look it up in the Webster?
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/17/11 01:27 PM
The early Ithaca's were named for their Designers. Mr Crass, Mr Lewis & Mr Flues were, I presume, the Lead Designers for these actions.
I say I "presume lead designer" as it would seem doubtful they worked totally alone, but perhaps Walt can correctly answer that.
The Crass model was named for its designer, Frederick Crass. Hopefully, this gun will be a future article in the DGJ.
Here is another Crass.

Miller: You forgot the Manier/Minier (I forget which is the correct spelling) that came in there somewhere.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/18/11 01:03 AM
Tom;
You're right. I kept thinking there was supposed to be another, but couldn't come up with the name. Crass was the first of these & Flues the last I believe. Did the Lewis follow the Crass & then the Manier??
Thank you, Mr Snyder, I knew there had to be a genuine reason I was unaware of.

They, at least the few I've seen, are truly beautiful guns. I certainly hope there will be a DGJ article on them appearing in the not too distant future.

Many Thanks - Marc
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Help with a Damascus barrel band count - 01/18/11 01:53 AM
I think the quality and designs of the Ithaca engravings really are at the top of the American doubles. Comparable grade Parkers don't match them in terms of either, IMO.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com