doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: David Hamilton Value of a FOX - 01/05/07 06:34 PM
It is an A grade 12 ga, serial # 21639 DT, nob , Aprox 1914, 28" krupp bls (cut, the barrels are a 32nd apart at muzzle), numerous dent repair marks on left barrel,
Re-blued, refinished stock. Engraving is sharp and little evidence of wear, some case, stock not cut but fitted with a pad, 15"lop. Other than noted defects the gun looks good. The bls need measuring to establish soundness. david
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Value of a FOX - 01/05/07 07:56 PM
David, sounds like a $500 to $600 shooter if the barrels have been cut. If barrels have been hot blued $350 maybe! Bobby
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Value of a FOX - 01/05/07 10:32 PM
I have a 26" Sterlingworth (1929 vintage) that has about 1/32" gap between the barrels. Callahan's letter says 26". So maybe the gun you're describing hasn't been cut. Or maybe later guns had a solder-filled gap (like mine).
Posted By: chux Re: Value of a FOX - 01/05/07 10:52 PM
350 for a fox?? even in that condition..where???? Its hard to even find crappy stevens 311 for that price now-a-days
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: Value of a FOX - 01/07/07 08:03 PM
I did pass up the Fox even though it was a very nicely engraved model with good wood but the left barrel repair worried me. I didn't measure the metal thickness but there were 5 or 6 pits from dent repair that looked bad. The other fault was the lever return spring which was much too strong. That could be fixed but the barrel would have been a killer. Thanks for your imput!! As for price, when you find a nice Fox bargan, call me!!! (If you don't want it yourself!) David
Posted By: eightbore Re: Value of a FOX - 01/08/07 02:26 PM
No mention of choke measurements, I notice. That would be a better indicator of cut barrels than barrel separation. Fox is known for barrel separation on factory original guns. In fact, I have seen Fox order cards for less than 30" guns with rather open chokes that specify "Cut longer barrels to make this gun.". I have examined the guns described on these order cards and they had space between barrels at the muzzle. Conversely, I own Parkers that have been cut four inches that have "joined" muzzles. A Callahan letter would be the next step after measuring the choke dimensions.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com