doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/09/10 04:22 AM

Has anyone used the Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit?
Any idea of what it does or how it works?
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/09/10 02:10 PM
Not sure about this product, but I am convinced that the "Case Colors" on the RBL is some sort of a baked on product. Shortly after receipt of my Launch Edition, the colors flaked off in one small area (not wear - flaked). Sent back to CSM, and repair was made satisfactorily.
Posted By: ejsxs Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/09/10 07:10 PM
Brian,

I have used the case lacquer with good results (every other year use), I dont think that the kit is needed provided that the gun case colors are in good standing.

Regards.
Posted By: James M Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/09/10 08:12 PM
What exactly is in this kit? A propane torch, 4/0 steel wool and instructions written by someone named Ed?? eek
Jim
Yikes!
Originally Posted By: Brian

Has anyone used the Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit?
Any idea of what it does or how it works?

I also saw that advertised in their last catalog and wondered when Tony started employing alchemists.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/10/10 03:46 PM
From what I remember from Dr. Gaddy's writings on case colours and how they are formed,
I don't see how you can enhance them from a bottle.
If it is some kind of acid you would be taking them off.

JC
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/10/10 04:50 PM
I have not used the complete Case Color Enhancement Kit, but have used the the Case Color Lacquer--with satisfactory results. The complete kit includes three basic components: cleaning solution, case color solution, and case color lacquer.I would suspect the cleaning solution is comparable to Birchwood Casey's Cleaner/Degreaser--to remove existing grease and oil, I'm not sure what the case color solution is or what it does, and the case color lacquer is the film that helps protect the case colors from wear and it is also the component that enhances the existing colors by making them appear slightly brighter and it will also impart a slight amber hue when applied. The Case Color Lacquer is easy to apply--I used a 1/4" artist's camel hair brush. The product flows on thinly and evenly and dries in a few minutes. I applied two coats---any more and it would probably fill in the engraving cuts.

Here's a link to the complete Case Color Enhancement Kit:
http://www.csmcspecials.com/Case_Color_Enhancement_Kit_p/f0402.htm
Posted By: Geno Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/10/10 05:06 PM
Case colors solution bottle looks like red/brown stain or some sort of it. Probably its something about light filters, some filters can gain colors, make them to look brighter. Just IMHO.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/10/10 05:21 PM
Geno, the Case Color Lacquer is the one that is amber colored that you've described looking like red/brown stain. The Case Color Solution and the Cleaning Solution are vodka-clear.
Posted By: Geno Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/10/10 05:30 PM
Today's stains basically are water based. It was just my supposition.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/11/10 03:08 AM
Too bad it only comes in bottles. I'd prefer roll-on. I thought the Italians already had a faux case color process. I thought the current choice in gunmaking steel could not be case hardened. Why is it such a big surprise that the two should come together?

jack
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/11/10 02:53 PM
For $10 cheaper you can purchase my case colour enhancement package. It comes with 2 different shades of blue paint, 2 different shades of brown and a special packet of my patented "yellow rust windowpane". All colours are oil based. Two different sized professional artist sable brushes (included) will make you feel like a real 19th century British craftsman, and the coup de gras is a special certified vintage bottle of Old Spice for the final laquer. Take that first step toward making your prized gun "ooo la la!" and send your $25 check to me. NO personal checks, please, funds must be certified bank check, or rather, cheque. Money orders also accepted. NO credit card/pay pal nonsense.
Posted By: JayCee Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/11/10 03:58 PM
Bonjour Lapin,

A props of Italians and colours, I once asked Famars about them and I was informed
that it is illegal to use animal bones in Italy so if you want your Castore case coloured
they send it to Germany to be "painted".

What with all the osso bucco you would think it shouldn't be a problem. Go figure!

JC
Lol KK
Posted By: ed good Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/11/10 11:11 PM
case colors in a bottle? how gouache!
Originally Posted By: ed good
case colors in a bottle? how gouache!

Now that's funny!
Case colors in a bottle or case colors at the end of a torch? Wonder which is most acceptable? Oh I know......neither!
Posted By: Geno Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/12/10 05:59 PM
Its not for cc imitation, its for cc better and brighter looking as I understood.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/12/10 08:00 PM
Right you are, J. C. Never a shortage of soup bones at our house but certainly a shortage of 80% cc. Except on that "new" Robust and I think it must have been laquered at the factory.

jack
Posted By: JayCee Re: Galazan Case Color Enhancement Kit??? - 12/12/10 11:33 PM
Had almost forgotten about her, you have to post photos.

JC
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com