doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 01:17 AM
Just wondering if anyone among this august group can answer whether or not a selective trigger from one BSS will fit (interchange) with a non-selective in another. I shoot my 30" BSS really well, and am considering beginning a search for a junker BSS with selective trigger if I can put it in my non-selectable trigger BSS, or maybe even finding the needle in the haystack and locating a selective trigger for it.

confused

Stan

Posted By: Don Moody Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 02:30 AM
A junker BSS with a selective trigger! Now that's a bit of an oxymoron.

I don't think it's as simple as a swap out.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 02:59 AM
Not necessarily, Don. All it takes is a gun with a bad or blown barrel. Never said the search would be easy, just want to know if it's "doable" without a big 'smithing bill.

Stan
Posted By: Don Moody Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 10:04 AM
Well, I don't think you will fine "junker" BSSs growing on trees. Besides, Selective triggers are over rated anyway.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 10:37 AM
Thanks for the enlightenment, Don, but note that I did not ask for an opinion on how hard it would be to find one, OR your opinion of selective triggers.

Stan
Posted By: Don Moody Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 11:26 AM
Stan, Excuse me, I'm sorry that you felt that I was attacking you. That was not the case.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 02:01 PM
Don knows that double triggers are the best choice when it comes to "selectable". smile
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 05:28 PM
I'd ask you question of Midwest Gunworks. They should know if it's a doable thing and might even have some parts.
As to your "needle in a haystack" search, I'll bet it would be easier to find a BSS with selective trigger in good condition. Buy it and sell yours.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 06:30 PM
No problem, Don. I apologize for being so touchy about it. My bad.

Larry, I know, as well, that double triggers are the best option. I favor them over selectives, but double triggers are not an option on a BSS, at least not a reasonable option. I shoot this gun exclusively in S x S sporting clay competition and would really like the option of having my choice of choke on the bird that may need it without having to swap chokes every station. I hate doing that. It is choked mod. and full, not exactly ideal for sporting, even WITH a selective trigger. If I cannot make it selective I will open them to .020" and .020" and forget all about it. If I CAN make it selective I will have it threaded for S-1 Brileys and use some of the 14 tubes I already have on hand in it.

Jim, I realize that swapping guns is an option, but I looked a long time to find a 30" one with 3" chambers so that it could double as a duck gun, and it's a good one. I believe I'll look for a "cheap" selective one. I've already seen two in the $750 range. I'm the eternal optimist. I just know there's one out there with a busted stock somewhere that I could salvage the trigger AND an extra set of barrels off of.

I'm going to pull the butt off my best buddy's selective BSS , and off mine, and look at them closely to see if I can do the swap. May call Midwest, too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Stan
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 07:35 PM
Stan, yes it's doable. It'll be expensive if you pay for the smithing. You'll need the triggerplate and all the trigger mechanism. You'll have a ton of money invested even if you just paid for parts. I
looked into doing it myself. Not practical IMO. Much more practical to start looking for the SST twin of your gun.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 07:53 PM
Thanks, Chuck. I may just go ahead and open them both to .020" and not look back. I've been competing with that constriction in both barrels of my MX-8 in the main events for the last couple of years and shooting the best I ever have since beginning. Only problem is, I do a lot of woodie shooting in beaver ponds here, and .020" is a lot of choke on those close birds, and man!, they can be close!

Another alternative would be to have Briley thread the barrels for their S-1's, as I mentioned earlier, and leave the trigger alone. That way I could put in open tubes for the woodies, and .020's or .015's for clays and big ducks at longer range. Long as I use the same constrictions in both barrels it wouldn't matter anyway.

Thanks, Stan
Posted By: phideaux2003 Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I've already seen two in the $750 range. I'm the eternal optimist. Stan

Dude, where are you finding BSS's for $750?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 08:46 PM
Saw two last night on the 'net. They were on either Gunbroker, Auction Arms or Guns International. Can't remember which, it was a bit late and I was getting bleary eyed but, both were under $800 and I think they were in the $750 range. Both 12 gauges. Seems like one was 28" and the other 26".

Stan
Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 08:59 PM
You could just buy a nice SST gun and have your 30" barrels and forend fitted to the new gun. You wind up with either a two-barrel set or two guns, one of which is the combo you want. Simpler and probably cheaper than converting the current gun to SST from a donor gun. I have a set of 30" NST barrels fitted to my SST Sporter and it has worked out well.

I am still looking for a nice set of BSS 12ga barrels, 26" with a forend. IF you buy a donor gun to get your trigger, I'm interested in the barrels and f/e.
Posted By: phideaux2003 Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 09:49 PM
That's a good idea Replacement. How much would it cost for a decent gunsmith to do a barrel fitting to an action it wasn't originally fitted for?
Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 10:28 PM
BSS's are pretty consistent from gun to gun. Barrels won't just snap on but are close, so you need a decent gunsmith to properly fit them. My guy charged me only about $150 to fit the barrels, but then there was the forend fitting (wanted two f/e's for the gun) and the reshaping/checkering of the field f/e to match the original Sporter f/e, and the oil refinish to make all the wood match. Then you need to find an appropriate two-barrel case. It now looks factory, and of course I have more in it than it is probably worth, but I'm happy.
Posted By: Don Moody Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 10:32 PM
Stan, again, on offense intended, but the correct term is "Selective", not "selectable".
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/17/10 11:07 PM
So right, Ole Cowboy. I do murder the English language from time to time. blush blush

When does quail season open out theah'?

Stan
Posted By: Don Moody Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/18/10 02:31 AM
Oct. 30th. Which is way too early. They need to move it back to the old traditional Dec 1st. The season was much better and more special back then.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/18/10 02:42 AM
Stan,
Of the three BSS guns I've owned, they've proven themselves well. I'm sure you know this, being a current owner. I've actually committed to buy another BSS 20g from a friend. This will be 3 BSS 20g guns in my safe. Love them. I highly recommend you give a 28" 20g a try for clays. Very rewarding.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/18/10 11:10 AM
I actually held one earlier this week, Chuck. It was not for sale (yet), but actually was the first BSS 20 I ever had my hands on. I was impressed with how it felt in hand.

I have shot nothing at doves for the last six seasons but a 20 gauge 687 SP II Sporting, but I can see myself enjoying a BSS 20 on the bird field.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/18/10 01:06 PM
I was mistaken, it's 4 BSS guns going on 5. One 12g 28" is long gone. Still have one BSS 12g 26" that I don't shoot much. It was my first sxs and has lots of rounds thru it, Briley chokes, and a hardchrome finish (error in judgment).
Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/18/10 05:28 PM
Don't overlook the Miroku and Daly-marked 20's in lieu of a BSS. Lots of similarities to the BSS, and some advantages over the BSS. I think they are probably the best modern, utilitarian SxS on the planet. They are the SxS equivalent of a 686 or an 870 for their respective action types.
Posted By: Dave Nelson Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/18/10 06:40 PM
Don
I have a friend who just picked up a Westernfield(Wards) by Miruko, a SxS in 20, I believe at a garage sale for $300. Wood's pretty straight forward; tight and little wear. Looks good but know nothing about it other than the Miruko rep? Is that a "sleeper"?
Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/19/10 03:20 AM
Quote:
Is that a "sleeper"?

Yes. Usually not as nice as the Miroku and Daly guns, but some of them were pretty slick. They are NOT a BSS with a different label, but they are well made, just like all Miroku shotguns.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/19/10 02:03 PM
The Miroku-made sxs are definitely sleepers. Most are DT/extractor guns, so someone looking for a ST double would want to stick with a BSS. For the most part, the 20ga Sporter (straight grip) is only model that's really gone up a lot in price. The other ones are still quite reasonable, I think, compared to what else is on the market.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/19/10 02:08 PM
And those 20g guns are still a good buy for the money at their current prices.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/19/10 02:13 PM
o/u versions with double triggers are real sleepers. last year one in very good shape was sold for $385. it collected dust for over a year as almost nobody besides me wants o/u with fixed chokes, dts, no rib and straight grip stock.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/19/10 02:15 PM
i think not. one can find super clean choke tube-less light citori 20ga for under 1k. with proper mix of ammo in the tube repeater with 1/4 or half choke is all one needs.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/19/10 05:29 PM
Apple vs oranges. A citori is just not the same animal that a sxs is.
Posted By: GJZ Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/19/10 10:55 PM
Here's a variation I've not seen before.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183913343
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/20/10 12:52 PM
Discussed that one elsewhere. Other than the smaller forend and the fact there's just one screw in the bottom of the receiver vs 2 on the BSS--and, of course, the DT--it looks a whole lot like a Sporter with DT. Wonder if that gun came out of Japan and was perhaps finished by FN?
Posted By: GJZ Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/20/10 01:53 PM
So what if it was discussed elsewhere? And, I have a Japanase-made, Korean-assembled 12-g BSS Sporter with one screw at the bottom of the receiver.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/20/10 09:53 PM
Interesting. I looked at all the BSS listed on the Cabela's website. (Many, unfortunately, you can't see the bottom of the receiver.) Where the screws were visible, most had two. But there was at least one with only one screw. They must've had a couple variations.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/21/10 12:08 PM
My 12 ga. Sporter - bought new in 1985 - has only Japan markings and has just one screw.

GJZ - Larry was just sayin', not criticizing. This is useful info for someone who wants to find out more about the gun.

Jay
Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/21/10 06:28 PM
Shoudn't the single screw on this gun's trigger plate be clocked?

It is also marked 2-3/4" chambers, and every other BSS that I have looked it is marked 3" chambers, but my Daly 500 is marked 2-3/4".

I don't have my Daly 500 available right now for comparison, but isn't the forend on this BSS a lot closer to the Daly 500 shape than to the Japanese/Korean BSS Sporter shape? Overall seems to be closer to a Daly 500 than to a BSS Sporter, except for the fancy back on the frame.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/21/10 10:06 PM
There are a pretty wide variety of forend shapes on the Miroku Dalys. Most have some sort of a SBT or BT, but I've also seen them with splinters and plunger-type releases.
Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/21/10 11:23 PM
My Miroku 20 has a plunger release on the splinter f/e and a frame shape that I have never seen on any other Miroku or Daly or BSS.
Posted By: Birdog Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/23/10 08:30 PM
B C Miroku 12-28 M&F 6.75 lb.. Picked it up for my niece several years ago in Dublin, looks very similar to my BSS 30".

Posted By: Replacement Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/23/10 08:46 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/23/10 10:17 PM
I'm guessing your BSS has a fatter forend. Otherwise, indeed very similar. Even to the "notch-backed" receiver, which most Mirokus (or at least not those imported to the States as Charles Daly or Western Field guns) do not have.
Posted By: Birdog Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/24/10 03:11 PM
Larry

Beavertail and PG, non-selective trigger.
BTW the Miroku is equipped with ejectors.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: BSS selectable trigger question - 08/24/10 10:22 PM
I've had a couple Mirokus, straight/splinter/DT--but both had a plain (straight back) receiver and a plunger forend release. One with ejectors, one without.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com