doublegunshop.com - home
Nearly new, all original,circa 1885.

With original case, retailer's label & hang tag. Middle grade. Looks like it was handled more than shot.

Will post more pics on my blog soon.

OWD
Those fellows not only built great guns with their name stamped on it but built so many wonderful guns for so many other firms that I often look at a lesser known English masterpiece and cannot help but think, I wonder who built that gun for them, probably W & C Scott.
Hey, I have that same gun complete with long necked goose or swan or whatever that thing is on the left lock plate. Same long shanked forend release lever and same engraving. Mine is 1887 (coupla years newer), but yours is in much nicer condition. Do you happen to know what that model was called?...Geo
OWDs:
Can you share with us how you acquired this example? I have a suspicion there may be an interesting story here.
Jim
In there best days Scott guns cost more than Purdey's.
gunman:
I'm not sure of that. But I do know that no small number of Purdeys originated at Scott's.

Best, Kensal
Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
gunman:
I'm not sure of that. But I do know that no small number of Purdeys originated at Scott's.

Best, Kensal

Its true. This gun in its day cost more than a Purdey. http://www.gunsinternational.com/W-C-Sco...43CCB56D227E4BA
Eye-taliansxs-

Old lady had it. Told her it was too dangerous to have around and she gave me $200 to dispose of it in a professional manner.

Ha. Kidding.

Plain old gun deal. When I called about it, the seller said "By the way, it came in an old box. You want it?"

OWD
LeFusil:
If you meant to say that SOME Scott guns cost more than SOME Purdeys, especially in light of your example, then I would tend to agree.

Best, Kensal
Here's what I meant to say Kensal....the VERY top of the line Scott (Premier) did cost more than the top of the line Purdey during that time period. The gun I linked a picture to would have been in the stratosphere in regards to cost, doubt anything came close to it price wise in the 1880's.

Dustin
I have two of that same gun. Not nearly in as good shape but I love them both. One has the same swan and the other has a goose in flight on the right lock plate. Mine were made in 1885 and 1886.

Regards, Gordon
OWD,

I don't know which it better; you're first story or the second. Damn! I NEVER get that lucky.

Congrats and enjoy.

Phil
It's not far off the price of a good Purdey today.
I've seen in the same early catalog , was it Wm. Read, that the Premier and/or Premier Imperial were priced higher than all other guns offered, including Purdey best.
Unfortunately since Scott built lower grade guns along with best guns they have a somewhat soiled reputation. I have a Scott SLE that was built in 1898 that I'll put up against any British double of the same period Purdey included.
Jim
Nice gun, I got gun envy for a minute. frown

Had to go rub on my Scott Premier grade hammer gun....I'm okay now.
Seems like several of us have one of these. Mine's in good shape except for the pitted barrels. I shoot it with vintager type loads and haven't had the barrels reamed to remove the pitting; can't see how removing steel will make it any stronger. It does make it a job to clean the barrels after I shoot it though.

I figure these guns are a lower mid grade. Anyone know where they this model fit into the scheme of things? I have a re-print of the 1893 Scott catalog, but don't find anything in there that looks like the OWD's gun (or mine)...Geo

My 10 has pristine 32" barrels. grin
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
My 10 has pristine 32" barrels.grin

Whenever someone says that I wonder how they know someone else hasn't
reamed out a bunch of pitting and repolished the barrels on that 100 year
old gun to LOOK pristine...Geo
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I guess they would start off by using a bore gauge, take precision measurements and then compare the measured bore diameter with the original proof marks? That would be one way of doing it. No telling what the original chokes were (unless you have factory documentation telling you what the gun was originally choked at) or if the finish on the outside is "pristine" though.

Dustin
Prior to building their factory where they say they now build their guns, (insert; cough, cough, choke, choke) smirk didn’t Holland & Holland have most if not all of their guns built at W & C Scott & Sons?

With a Stan Baker bore gauge both bores measure .779 and are both choked to .754
treblig1958:
I am sure H&H does not need me to come to their defense. However, I can assure you that ALL Holland & Holland guns are "built" in their London factory. I have stood next to the machines and craftsmen who do it. In the factory. With Holland & Holland management.

That aside, you are correct in the fact that H&H used W. & C. Scott & Son as one source of action forgings, barrels, etc., prior to the construction of their own factory. After that, most outsourcing was scaled back severely. And in NO case did Scott ever "build" Holland & Holland guns.

But, perhaps you have more valid sources than my own.

Best, Kensal

With a Stan Baker bore gauge both bores measure .779 and are both choked to .754

Sounds pristine enough for me...Geo
Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
treblig1958:
I am sure H&H does not need me to come to their defense. However, I can assure you that ALL Holland & Holland guns are "built" in their London factory. I have stood next to the machines and craftsmen who do it. In the factory. With Holland & Holland management.

That aside, you are correct in the fact that H&H used W. & C. Scott & Son as one source of action forgings, barrels, etc., prior to the construction of their own factory. After that, most outsourcing was scaled back severely. And in NO case did Scott ever "build" Holland & Holland guns.

But, perhaps you have more valid sources than my own.

Best, Kensal

Yes, Perhaps you need to check your sources Kensal. Your telling me this gem of a gun was produced in the Holland factory? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11655
And what about the "Northwood" model? Or how about the "Cavalier"?
I think it is a pretty well known fact that not all Holland & Hollands were built in their factory Kensal. I too know some individuals who have apprenticed, worked and then left the factory and they too acknowledge that fact. Firms like A.A. Brown, S. Wright & son, W & C Scott, among others are known to have built COMPLETED guns for Hollands, even if Hollands did the final finishing on some of these pre-built guns in house...the guns still showed up at Hollands put together lock, stock and barrel.

Dustin
I talked to Donald Dallas about this.

My question to him:
"Did Henry Holland make guns, as well as have guns made for him in the trade? Did H&H make guns before they opened their factory in the 1890s?"

Mr Dallas's response:

"As regards Henry Holland, he did make some guns, but the majority were built elsewhere. Even when the factory was built, H & H had many of their 2nd quality guns built in Birmingham."

OWD
LeFusil:
I bow to your preeminent knowledge. I shall not quibble about the meaning of the word "built." I must have been mistaken.

Best, Kensal
Please, no bowing. And you are right...its best not to quibble. One of these days I hope you add something here that is informative, helpful, and enlightening. We are all sitting on the edge of our seats, waiting patiently to hear some of your preeminent knowledge. Good day.

Dustin
Hollands of course did own Webley & Scott for a while; hence some of the later boxlocks with the H&H name on. It seems to me, from watching this site and reading American gun magazines, that more of the better grade Scotts went over to America than can be found in the U.K. They are very hard to come across here in England. Lagopus..... nice find by the way.
Always have to get that shot in there, 'second quality' but the 'Best' guns we, of course, built.
And under his breath, so no one else can hear it, 'with a lot of help from W & C Scott'!!!

Okay enough said about that, I've babbled on enough.
Nice find and a beautiful Scott!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com