doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Rockdoc Brileys in Houston - 06/14/10 08:00 PM
I know that Brileys does a lot of barrel work but I'm wondering how they are for other gunsmith work. I have a French 16 gauge I like a lot that would be really hard to replace (hence pursuing a repair that would cost more then the gun is worth). Anyhow, the gun needs to have a new locking bolt (plate) made and fitted into the action. The one it has is not original and fits poorly causing the top lever to be way over to the left (even after I had the gun put back on face by Hugh Lomas in Elkhart Lake).
Also, if anyone knows any other gunsmiths in the Houston area that are equipped to do custom machine work and parts fitting I'd be interested in contacting them too. Like I said earlier, I realize the gun will cost more to repair then it's worth but it's really one of a kind (it fits me perfectly, it has 27" barrels, and only weighs 5 lbs).
Steve
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/14/10 08:18 PM
I had a negative experience with them on a Model 21 a thre years ago.

Single trigger issues, off face, ejector issues. I spent a lot of money ($2300) and they were six months longer getting the gun back to me than they told me.

I won't use them for general gunsmithing on doubles anymore. I would send them a gun if I wanted screw in chokes installed or chokes opened or chambers lengthened.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/14/10 09:34 PM
Rockdoc:
I could add to what "AmarilloMike" has experienced with Briley. But I won't. Since you are in Texas, I strongly suggest that you call Kirk Merrington. He's near Kerrville now, but formerly of Churchills in the UK. And a man you can trust for such work without hesitation. I do.
His phone: 830.367.2937

Best, Kensal
Posted By: APS Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/14/10 09:35 PM
I will not even send them barrel work.

Sent a .410 Italian gunthat was full/full to be opened. On both the phone call in advance of sending and on the note enclosed with the gun was a instuction to call me and review prior proceeding with the work.

They opened it and sent it back- no call, no confirmation. Bad customer service.

al
Posted By: bobc Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/14/10 09:54 PM
Dustin Mounts is a superb shotgun gunsmith, Purdey's rep in the US. He's in the Galleria on Post Oaks, across parking lot N. of Oshman/Sports Authority. His # is 713-252-4146. Bob
Posted By: Randall Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 01:55 AM
A 2nd for Kirk Merrington.

http://www.kirkmerrington.net/
Posted By: GregSY Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 02:54 AM
I have always used a local pawn shop to receive guns for me. They are friendly and always call me within a hour of receiving the guns.

A few years ago I won two high grade Parkers at the Julia auction and decided I'd better use Briley's to receive them. They arrived early Friday AM - I knew that from the tracking number. I called them around lunch and asked if I could come pick them up. I was told in a very lackadaisical 'Well, we receive a lot of guns and we don't know if those showed up yet or not.' I told them they had and politely suggested they get up off their ass and find them. I also pointed out that while they receive lots of guns, only a handful could be for FFL transfers - most are coming for for work and it won't matter if they don't get unboxed until the next day. I told them I needed the guns for a shoot that was the next day.

Finally, around 5PM I just drove there and coaxed them into giving me my guns so I could get them before the weekend. Never again.

So now I'm back the pawnshop with no complaints. They charge less, too.
Posted By: Randall Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 03:45 AM
Just to be clear, I've used Briley several times for interior barrel work. Never had any problems, always a quick turnaround.
But, the original question in this thread is not about interior barrel work.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 02:21 PM
They do a lot of work that is not related to tubes and chokes. Reports cover the full range.
bill
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 03:49 PM
Well, I might as well as my two cents worth. They mucked up a very nice pre war Merkel S x S 16 bore gun for me a few years back. Asked them in a phone call before hand if they could make and install a completely invisible fitted sleeve, rather like a choke tube, but fit and installed permanently and invisibly, to restore the left tube that only had a tiny bit of choke remaining from someone's opening the bores poorly before I bought the gun. Said "Sure, no problem, do it all the time, etc" so I sent them the gun. Again, it took six months longer than their promised turn time, and when it did arrive all they had done was thread the left tube and screw in an off the shelf choke tube with some lock-tite on it. It was in no way a custom fitted and invisible job. It was easily visible in the bore. Called them, argued my point, sent it back, and I'll cut it short here, but it required another six months and second return to finally get the job right. To be sure, they finally did a good job of what I originally asked for, but there apparently is a BIG disconnect between their sales department and the guys in the shop running the equipment. Poor, sloppy, almost non-existant customer service, and an elitist attitude on top of that as big as the State of Texas!! I'll NEVER go back. I don't go out of my way to post about them, but when someone pointedly asks about custom work, I'll reply.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 05:40 PM
I've lived in TX most of my life and I don't mind telling you there is very little high level craftsmanship here.

If you want someone who can barbecue or throw a rope around a cow's neck, come to Texas. If you want machine work, masonry, carpentry, or just about any other discipline that requires craftsmanship, stay up North.
Posted By: improved modified Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 07:21 PM
They took over a year to do a simple color casr job for me.
Never again.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: GregSY
If you want someone who can barbecue or throw a rope around a cow's neck, come to Texas. If you want machine work, masonry, carpentry, or just about any other discipline that requires craftsmanship, stay up North.

Unless of course you live in the Amarillo area and need air conditioning or plumbing and you contact my company. grin
Posted By: phideaux2003 Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Rockdoc:
I could add to what "AmarilloMike" has experienced with Briley. But I won't. Since you are in Texas, I strongly suggest that you call Kirk Merrington. He's near Kerrville now, but formerly of Churchills in the UK. And a man you can trust for such work without hesitation. I do.
His phone: 830.367.2937

Best, Kensal

I heartily cast a third vote for Kirk. He's perhaps one of the best double gun gunsmiths in this hemisphere. Right up there with Turnbull. Be prepared to wait and to pay a premium though.

As an alternative, I had a Bonehill worked on by a guy out in Waller named Bobby Pitchford. He worked under Kirk Merrington while they were both at Briley. He spun off and opened his own shop in Waller. He's primarily a riflesmith, but he's a fantastic gunsmith and I'd recommend him staunchly to anyone.

His site...

http://www.pcgguns.com/
Posted By: rtenenbown Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 10:52 PM
Larry Feland is the go to guy for Doubles in the Houston area.
He has worked on Mdl 21s, LC Smiths and Merkels for me.
First class.
281-373-0335
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/15/10 11:24 PM
I know the folks at Briley very well and have know Jess Briley for many years. In fact when he and Clyde Lang built the first set of gauge tubes. Not even a company then. They do pretty good bbls work. I have been able to tour the back shop area as a friend of mind was the shop manager for many years. they have so much work its unbelieveable. The did do work for S & W, made choke tubes for Remington and a host of parts for other companies too. They have gotten super large and super busy. Its like the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant. (If you have ever been in on you know what I mean!) They are high volume. At onetime the gunsmiths were payed by the piece, not a salary. So their incentive was to crank out the work. So do not expect hand holding, calls before the work in being done, or strong personal contact every step of the way. If you want that you need to go to a small shop with less volume. Briley is a high volume, production shop.

John Boyd
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Brileys in Houston - 06/16/10 12:26 AM
Here in LA we deal with them a lot. The word is that you must be a dumb A, rude and crude to work in Briley sales. They do have high skill people in the shop.
bill
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Brileys in Houston-thank you - 06/16/10 02:47 PM
Thank you all for your candid replies, you all answered several questions like:
- Turn around time, I'd rather not wait a 6 months to get my gun back.
- Customer service, I'd rather not be treated like crap where I spend a lot of money.
- Value, I'd like to spend a fair amount to have a competent job done.
I think the responses I received answered all these questions.
Thank you.
Steve
Posted By: Crowley Re: Brileys in Houston-thank you - 06/18/10 09:24 PM
I will not use Briley again for choke tubes or sub guage tubes.I get mad all over again when I think of what they did.

Dan Crowley aka danc
Florida
Posted By: GF1 Re: Brileys in Houston-thank you - 06/19/10 12:28 AM
Briley will never do any work for me again, since they permanently marred the barrels of a new Perazzi MX8-20 28 gauge some years ago. Appeared they clamped the barrels crudely in doing the work, marring the bluing. The shop I had do the shipping sent them back and got no response, other than sending the barrels back. The chokes were bored true, and were otherwise fine. I more recently inquired about some other work, and got similar treatment. Maybe they are so big and have so much work that service doesn't matter to them. There are enough other good guys around to be aggravated by Briley.
Posted By: quailnut Re: Brileys in Houston-thank you - 06/19/10 03:27 AM

I have had work done by both Kirk Merrington and by Larry Feland and was impressed by both. Kirk might take a little longer. Good 'smiths, both of them.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com