doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ken/kebco Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/12/10 01:16 AM
Any one know this Italian makers mark, looks like a flying bird? Gun has all the proper proof marks, serial number but no name that I can find.
Don't know that one, but it reminds me of the name of one of the planes flown by one of Doolittle's Tokyo Raiders: "The Ruptured Duck".
Ken, I am note absoluut sure but in M.H.O. I think that the maker of your gun is ALBERTI BRUNO.
He deposit this proof mark at the "Banco Nazionale di Prova" in Gardone. I have no records of the maker.
Marc.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/13/10 12:59 PM
Alberti Bruno was registered with the proof house in 1968. I found this example of his work
I have seen that mark before. I trust Marc has a better memory than I do...

Pete
Posted By: Geno Re: Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/14/10 09:31 PM
Ferlib.
Not in business anymore.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/14/10 10:30 PM
That is Ferlib,
As far as I know they are still in business.The owners name is Ivano Tanfoglio and he will answer emails about guns he build,he did for me.

http://www.ferlib.com/htm/iniziale.htm
Posted By: Geno Re: Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/15/10 06:07 AM
The last information I got last year the owners (4 or 5 brothers?) split business and 2 of them work for very well known gun makers now, Ivano answers for emails still, but does Ferlib produce guns now is in question.
Geno and Dave, I don't want to offence both of you but after my research I find out that at least 6 other gunmakers with the name Tanfoglio are registred ar the Gardone Proof House.
Here the names:Umberto, Giovanni,Francesco, Battista,Giuseppe, Fratelli Tanfoglio.
Not one of them have that deposit trade mark. What I can confirm is that many Italian makers have a bird or pigeon as trade mark and the one that is an exact copy is the one that I mention. Dave if Ferlib have made a gun or guns for you you are of course sure about the pictured trade mark,can you post it so we can compare it to the trade mark pictured in the forum.
Marc.
Posted By: Geno Re: Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/15/10 09:12 AM
Marc, I can confirm this exactly flying bird mark belongs to Ferlib and Tanfoglio family. I saw and touched Ferlib guns several times and all this guns bear this mark. Moreover one of local advertisers (pointer dogs breeder and double gun lover Steve Cobb) sold gun made in Japan and finished at Ferlib and it beared this mark.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/15/10 10:23 AM
I will pull mine out of the safe today to take a picture,it has the same mark as the one pictured by Geno.My Ferlib is a 20 O/U "Superposed" (looks like a Browning Superlight) and was made in Italy,engraved by Creative Arts (Piardi),imported by New England Arms (Kittery Maine).I know they,the importer are not in business anymore.
Dave K
Geno and Dave you both convinced me, I can only say that it was confusing. Thank to both of you,Marc.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Unknown Italian makers mark (flying bird) - 06/15/10 06:01 PM
Hi Marc,

here is a pic of the mark I had on the web host site;

and here is one I took today that is a bit better (I am horrible at pictures-sorry)

Still wonder of they are in business today,maybe I will email Ivano and ask.
Dave, nice gun you have and thank you for posting.
Marc.
The guys are correct its a Ferlib. I imported these in the 80s. Great guns. Ivan worked at the shop at Felib. When I met him he was a young man. When Ferlib decided to retire Ivan took over the company. At that time my self, Jimmy Austin and the Moores were the 3 importers of these guns. When Ivan took over he immediately raised the cost to us about 30%. We dropped out. After that Harry Marks tried to import the guns. He tried that for a little while but found out that they did not sell at the higher prices. He dropped out. Dakota tried also, really marked the prices through the roof. That ended. Ivan had a very hardtime selling him guns in the states at these newer prices. He later went with B Razzzini and was going to market his guns with them. My last understanding is that he was instrumental in help Rizzini come to market with the Model 550 side by side. Most of those guns had problems and were sent back to Rizzini. I am not sure what Ivano is doing today or if he is still with Rizzini.

Best

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Sorry for delay in getting back. I appreciate the info. Not sure why this gun is not marked with the makers name, it looks and feels like a nice gun (round knob, double triggers, ejectors, very nice checkering) and not something the maker would be ashamed of.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com