doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: simcgunner Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 03:40 PM
What is the correct pronunciation of Bo –Whoop.?
Is it spoken as bo hoop,ba woop, bo wop or possibly some other way?? I wonder how they will pronounce it at the auction
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 03:44 PM
bOe wupp
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 05:13 PM
To get the right answer to that question we would have to go back in time and talk with Ho'ace, a paddler at the old Beaver Dam Lake Club at Tunica, MI. He coined the name based on his interpretation of what the big gun sounded like, with the WW Super-X shells that Nash used in it, from across Beaver Dam Lake. Many of us that hunt the lakes and swamps have heard the hollow sounding report of a big gun in the distance, as the sound filters through the cypresses and buckbrush across water. Nash wrote what Ho'ace said it sounded like as best he could, which ended up Bo Whoop.

Interesting side note on this, the gentleman who restocked the gun, and broke the news to the owner what he actually had, told me that he and another fellow or two took the gun down in the swamp near where he lives and one fellow fired it while he and another listened from a distance, to see if possibly made any unusual sound that would have led to the story. It didn't, but he was quick to point out that the exact location would have had to be used. I would add, the same climatic conditions as well.

Ho'ace was quite a character and storyteller who evidently was very gregarious, and he well knew that his employers and friends very much enjoyed hearing his tales. I know, and have known, several in my life like Ho'ace, and my life is much richer for it.
Posted By: eeb Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 05:35 PM
I'll be glad when that thing is finally sold and the world can resume spinning on its axis.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 07:10 PM
I believe it was Col Harold Sheldon that coined the Bo Woop name for the over bored 12 ga. Sheldon was from New England, hunting ducks with Buckingham in flooded timber. He was using a Holland & Holland 20 ga.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 08:06 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Nitrah on this, I'm fairly certain it was Sheldon that named the gun.

DLH
Posted By: George L. Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 09:12 PM
But it may have been Ol' Ho'ace that told Col. Sheldon "Dat ol gun belong to Mista Buck sho do mak lik he be sayin Bo Whoop"

Just My Humble Opinion.....George
Posted By: simcgunner Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 09:17 PM
Thanks for the reply but I knew how the gun was named. I was trying to get some ideas on Pronunciation. My take Is Bo (as in Bow and arrow) Woop (as in Hoop skirt)
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bo -Woop - 03/14/10 10:35 PM
Nitrah, you are correct. Memory is a dangerous thing when it doesn't work perfectly. I went back and read the story by Sheldon. My bad for posting incorrect info.

Stan
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Bo -Woop - 03/15/10 07:03 PM
You pronounce it just like $175,000. That sounds a lot lie "bOWWHumpP!!"
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com