doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: eeb Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 12:49 AM
On three occasions now I have mixed up a small batch of acra-glas to repair a small forend crack. I put a dab of brown coloring in the mix to match the wood. What I get is like a hard putty; it just does not cure. What am I doing wrong? I use the 4:1 ratio of epoxy to hardener (roughly) and just a tiny bit of coloring. I've had the stuff a couple years now, but the box says it's good for 7-10. Thanks
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 12:59 AM
I always used equal parts. Does it say to use 4:1?
Posted By: Ron Perry Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 01:02 AM
eeb,

I have been using acra-glass for 20+ years for knife handles. I use the thick stuff on a one to one basis. I've never not had it set up. Sounds like your ratio is off. It lasts a long time.

Ron
Posted By: GF1 Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 01:07 AM
+1 on wrong ratio...1/1 is the ticket.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 01:12 AM
Originally Posted By: GF1
+1 on wrong ratio...1/1 is the ticket.

Yup!
Posted By: eeb Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 01:12 AM
Yep. It's the red box stuff and the large can of epoxy says 4:1. I'll try it again. Thanks much.

Ed
Posted By: Craigster Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 01:14 AM
Ed,

If it still ain't workin' give Brownells a call.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 01:25 AM
Liquid Acra-glas is a 4:l ratio. However it is important that you be EXACT. The liquid stuff is picky. Acra-glas Gel is a 1:1 ratio. This product is not as particular on exactness. I have been using both products since 1981 with good results. When I didn't use the correct measure, the epoxy didn't always set up hard. I hate re-doing my own work....but I have and do when it is not right.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 01:33 AM
Too much die will slow or impede the setting of all resins like acra-glass. It dries darker than what it look like when you mix it. Try a hair drier to heat the mixture up slightly. It will get harder with extra heat. Red box is 4:1, green box is 1:1. For cracks I use the red (gel) with heat to get it thin and to get it to flow into the cracks better. Have not need to redo any yet.
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: Curing Time for Acra-Glas - 07/15/09 03:58 AM
Acra-Glas has a shelf life; if it doesn't harden it's past due. A strong amonia(sp) odor indicates it's outdated. My experiences.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com