doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ernie Bennett Parker Experts-HELP - 03/22/09 06:30 PM
HERE i AM AGAIN ASKING FOR HELP. gETTING TO BE A HABIT. i PICKED UP A DB 12 ga. Parker Bros. I looked through the only book I have (Blue Book ) but it really doesn't tell me what I have. This one is seriel No. 12672 and has matching seriel numbers. It has an underlever design ( a lever right in front of the trigger guard that you push up to open.) The only thing on the flat on the receiver is the seriel number, don't see any proof marks. On the flat on the barrels it has a U and then a 4 and then a 10. It has the numbers in two different places. Then it has Parker 1878 on the other side. On the bottom of the receiver it has two patent dates. One is March 28,1876 and the other looks like Nov. 18, 1886. On the top of the barrels it has Parker Bros Maker Meridian Conn. Plain Twist. Please don't ask for pictures as I don't know how. It has steel butt plate. Does all the above info tell anyone what model it is???

Thanks

Ernie
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Parker Experts-HELP - 03/22/09 06:50 PM
Go to the Parker site. They have pictures to help you. Plain twist suggests a "P" grade, to me.
Posted By: HIGH$TRAP Re: Parker Experts-HELP - 03/22/09 08:21 PM
Sorry, It's not listed in the serialization book.Sounds like an Underlifter gun, the 4/10 is the unstruck barrel weight, 4lbs 10 oz.
Posted By: Ernie Bennett Re: Parker Experts-HELP - 03/23/09 03:07 PM
Jim

What is the web site for the Parker site???

Thanks

Ernie
Posted By: George L. Re: Parker Experts-HELP - 03/23/09 03:44 PM
Ernie:Parker web site is http://www.ParkerGun.org.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Parker Experts-HELP - 03/23/09 06:24 PM
I'm not really up on Parkers, but as late as the 1899 catalog at least a hammer model was still listed in U grade. This was same as T grade except with straight grip. Not positive, but I believe R, S, T & U were essentially same quality guns, with R & T being 10ga with P'grip & T & U being 12 ga with S'grip. These were at the bottom of the 1899 price list for hammer guns with R @ $60.00, S&T @ $55.00 & U # $50.00. The PH was $65.00 in same catalog. On the lowest grades of hammer models pistol grip & 10ga seem to have been $5.00 extra for either, but was simply choice on higher grades & hammerless grades.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com