First of all thank you Brian and Ted for you kind words.

True flat top checkering is very difficult to do there is NO room for errors. I know of only one individual that does true flat top checkering, his name is Ralf Martini. He made his own checkering tools and his work is superb. I've done a few flat top jobs and were good but not original in execution. I modified a spacer tip and a single line cutter to do the work, true flat top has parrel sides and the bottom of the groove is flat also at least that's what I've seen in original work.

Most of my work is done on Turkish walnut or one of the Stans. Turkish is beautiful but can be problematic in that it can have hard and soft spots in the same piece of wood is a very short surface space. It's like a box of chocolates if you understand my meaning. I also do work on California English walnut, that is a general term as it all doesn't come from California. I like California a lot! The finest wood, IMHO, is sourced from France or an area close. It has a subtle elegance that's not in "in your face" but is not likely to have any surprises. So there you have it, my opinion and mine only

I do charge for my work and why shouldn't I? There are a number of individuals in the USA that are highly skilled and do fine work, there also some that are not so skilled, you get what you pay for.

Doug