June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, obsessed-with-doubles, 1 invisible), 336 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,015
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#646775 05/12/24 07:53 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am trying to load some 20ga shells using Hodgdon Pyrodex RS. I have been loading it in 12ga for a long time and my loading press is set for 3 dram by volume since Hodgdon literature indicates you can’t weight Pyrodex to the same standard as black powder. Wondering how to get 2 1/4 drams of Pyrodex?

On another note I came across this and wonder how true it holds:
In 12 gauge, a standard 3 dram load with 1-1/8 oz of shot travels 1200 fps. Each 1/4 dram equivalent that you add increases velocity 55 fps. Each 1/8 oz of shot that you add subtracts 35 fps.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Tamid #646785 05/13/24 09:26 AM
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have tried to attached some Dram equivalent info I have collected over the years.
From sensible sources but I have no idea how accurate or reliable it is.

Not having any luck figuring out how to post an image.
Will try to PM you.

Upland, grouse, woodcock
Tamid #646786 05/13/24 10:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I am not mistaken, Pyrodex measure the same as black volume wise. If that is the case, when loading muzzleloading shotguns, square loads are considered to be optimum. To me, a "square load" means same volume of black as shot. Some say it is not a "true" square load Ness the wad column is also the same. Be that as it may, when loading a muzzle loading shotgun OR black powder cartridges, I weight the shot charge that I intend to use, weigh it on the scale, pour that into my adjustable powder measure (adjusted to the max), then push the plunger up until the shot is at the top, this gives me the VOLUME of the shot charge, then whatever that is, that is the setting for my powder charge. I then set whatever loading equipment I am using to show those amounts whether I am loading a ML or loading cartridges. IF pyrodex is used in equal volumes as black, this should work well with that as well. If it measures different than black, I have no clue. Have never played with black substitutes.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Tamid #646787 05/13/24 11:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The volume for weight conversions are a bit wobbly at best. Densities of black vary across granulations, manufacturers, and lots within makers and granulations. So using a volume of black as a benchmark for Pryrodex is somewhat crude.

May I ask why you are using Pyrodex instead of black?

Were I doing it, I think I would start with something arbitrary but quite low and then build up until I reached a desired, reasonable velocity.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tamid #646795 05/13/24 12:56 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"May I ask why you are using Pyrodex instead of black?"

I started out using Pyrodex because I live in a province that doesn't have any blackpowder seasons, so the stores do not carry very much in the way of blackpowder loading. Just the time I started loading BP shells Pyrodex was the go to here for those who do shoot PB. Some hype about it burning cleaner, etc. but after using it for over 15yrs I don't think there is any advantage over PB. The stores here carry Pydodex but its much harder getting PB in the granular size wanted. And you have answered the question you ask,"Densities of black vary across granulations, manufacturers, and lots within makers and granulations." Inconsistent supply and stores changing manufacturers based on whats available means constantly changing your loading regime.

Tamid #646800 05/13/24 04:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid,
For rifles, that sort of variation is critical. We weigh every charge so that minimizes the impact but, yes, a new lot of powder can matter a fair bit. When we find one that works we go all in.

For shotguns, I'm not sure that variation becomes critical. Maybe these generic figures work okay. But with all the granulations and formulations, and then using that guestimate to jump to an entirely different powder - seems challenging at least.

Decades ago, I shot Pyrodex because I did not know anything about black and Pdex was available locally. I still have a can sitting on a shelf, never to be used. After using the real thing, I would never go back. It is not hard to buy blackpowder via mail order, but I did not know about that so long ago.

I tend to use the odds and ends of various lots of Swiss powder, when I am loading for shotguns. I weigh out 80ish grains and see how it does, then try a bit more and try again, until i find something that seems about right. Not very scientific, but it works for me. I do not shoot a great amount of black in shotguns. I save it for cartridge rifles.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tamid #646816 05/13/24 07:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pyrodex is extremely corrosive and nasty. It is difficult to get it all out of a rifle bore. Black powder cleans up easily and doesn't rot your bore right away. Once you use real black powder you will never go back to Pyrodex. 75gr in a 12 gauge shell works great. 67gr in a 16 gauge and 60gr in a 20 gauge. Black powder can be shipped right to your front door. I have half a can of Pyrodex left. If you want it, come by my house and I will give it to you for free.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by 12boreman
Pyrodex is extremely corrosive and nasty. It is difficult to get it all out of a rifle bore. Black powder cleans up easily and doesn't rot your bore right away. Once you use real black powder you will never go back to Pyrodex. 75gr in a 12 gauge shell works great. 67gr in a 16 gauge and 60gr in a 20 gauge. Black powder can be shipped right to your front door. I have half a can of Pyrodex left. If you want it, come by my house and I will give it to you for free.

Amen

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Tamid #646822 05/13/24 11:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the risk of sounding redundant, Pyrodex is an "answer" to a perceived ill that was non-existent.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: 12boreman
Tamid #646844 05/14/24 12:34 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

75gr in a 12 gauge shell works great. 67gr in a 16 gauge and 60gr in a 20 gauge

Im assuming that is double f?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.