bugsy,
Re: More red:
Perhaps a wash with alkanet tincture(not blood red...too concentrated) prior to oiling but then again, maybe not. I think it relies strongly on the nature of the wood and how it reacts to the finish. This piece is turkish with a yellow brown undercast and it has several other shades in the finish not captured by the photo. As mentioned in a previous post, I've had alkanet bring out yellows and purples in other stocks. I have not used it on english walnut, which is the choice of many gunmakers. I suspect english might reveal more of the red than what I show. Doesn't matter to me, each project is one of a kind and I like what I turn out...mostly.
The salopian finish has far more richness than oil alone. It dries slowly and I use a drying box on cool or humid days although open air is my preferred means for drying. You can generally recoat in 24 hrs. but sometimes it needs 36. I have added about 1/2 oz. of japan drier to a qt. of finish and I think it helps a little. Every application builds on the one before, don't get in a hurry. The luster and depth are gratifying and I've never liked the 'top finishes" despite any acclaims I've heard. Have used Permalyn and Tru Oil(too glossy and unworkable) and always ended up stripping or masking them with oil finishes. Now I use them as end grain sealer only.To each his own I guess. Good luck to you on your project. I'll be starting a 1953 Zoli Vulcano sidelock in a couple of weeks and will post that when it gets further along.
Yeti, I've seen your work and it is top notch, thanks for the compliment.

Last edited by Hansli; 11/07/06 10:18 AM.