I almost never let it go more than a hundred rounds (good round no. for skeet, sporting clays) or a week and I always wipe down barrels, action bar, receiver, maybe breech end of barrels once the gun acclimates to house temp. in case. I'm not the "gunroom" sort so I don't have rosewood rods, little brass oil cans and such but I have two cheap three piece alum. rods, one with no handle and a steel-wool covered brush and the other with handle and brush ("soft" jag for giving bore-shape to kleenex "patches"), a cordless drill for motive power on the wool, lighter fluid cans of Ed's Red, pint cans of Ed's Red, gallon cans of Ed's Red, pint of Ballistol, one stainless one-piece rod for all rifles, two pistol rods, one stainless, one aluminum (made from an old rifle rod), muzzle guides (storebought and homemade), brass jags and brushes for the rifles and revolvers, and an assortment of toothbrushes, Q-tips and ten trillion large muzzleloader patches for everything above 30 caliber and a few odd lots of patches that work OK for .22<.27, this grease and that, and everything but the three long rods stuffed in a Flambeaux tackle box for instant access. For a period of several years, it took me longer to find all that stuff than to use it.

jack