With HillaryCare and ObamaCare, "another large bureaucracy" is exactly what we'll have. HC and OC would keep in place the massively redundant private health insurance system (a bureaucracy in every company, a mini-bureaucracy for every plan) and simply add another bureaucratic layer.

But there are better models working well out there. Truly universal health care has only one bureaucracy, one set of rules. That's why basic health care is more cost-efficient in the OECD countries.

Right now, private health care administration costs eat up 19 to 24 percent of every premium dollar - while government administration costs for Medicare, Medicaid and VA care are running below 10 per cent.

Every doctor's office, every clinic, every hospital in the US has paid staffs doing nothing but paper-shuffling, trying to sort out who pays what to whom, from among hundreds of different insurance plans. Most of the dollars paid to those people would be spent on providing health care in a universal system.

The "show me" attitude only proves the blinkered view of so many Americans - we seem to be unable to look beyond our own borders, where dozens of developed nations are protecting all of their citizens, and achieving better health care outcomes at far lower cost. They've been "showing" us for years - if only we'd look.

Meanwhile, our "system" blindly allows people to die while private insurance companies deny coverage and their CEOs pocket multi-million dollar salaries and stock options. What amazes me is that so many Americans accept this like sheep, and just keep getting fleeced. The very fact that a US veteran has to re-mortgage his home, max credit card debt and accept handouts from neighbors in order to pay for necessary health care should be a wakeup call for everyone here.

America's squeamishness about universal health care reminds me of Churchill's remark, "You can count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com