The last post by Chuck got me thinking and learning about the last great gun deal I made. It is an 1890 Fishtail lever Parker one frame hammer gun that is a bit off face. I have it apart and I have learned a lot so far. Always wondered what that pin was in the middle of the water table. Just figured out it stops the gun from opening all the way. Neat the way one of the lumps grabs it when you open the gun. I am a mechanically inclined sort of guy but there is only so much time in the day and I finally figured it was time to learn a bit about the inside.

So I wiggled and tugged and found that there is about .003 between the barrels and the standing breach (used the old feeler gauges from my car fix it days). But the barrels also lift about .006. I can get a .006 feeler gauge between the barrel flats and water table when the gun is closed. The hook, hinge pin and the locking bolt and matching slot do not show any obvious visible wear signs I have seen on other guns. Everything looks pretty smooth. I realize that there could be nice even wear. I wonder if this gun needs work on the hook or the locking bolt or both. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

So many guns, so little time!