Rudy,

We have used heavily a Husqvarna M51 16 gauge for some years and a few friends have 12 gauge versions. Really good, solid guns, IF there is no damage to lockup (underlugs and crossbolt and lockup in general) and no extensive pitting, dents, hacked off barrels, reaming, cracked or badly oil-soaked stocks, etc. Those long backaction locks are among the most reliable, plus, they generally allow the hammer to be cocked with less effort than the shorter-springed versions, like on that Bayard (I have both types). All M51s I have shot had decent trigger letoffs -- still, good to have letoff checked. Do look at firing pins carefully. One I have had poorly home-made ones -- had machinest make new ones.

All the M51s I have handled have rather modern stock dimensions, with drop at heel of about 2,0 inches. They are quite good wingshooting guns and both barrels shoot to same POI, at least all I have shot or heard about. All originally had 65 mm chambers. There is enough metal in barrels to lengthen to 70 mm.

I have no personal experience with Bayard hammer guns. However, I can say the following with confidence.

Hopefully, that Bayard has "dolls head", as well as double underlugs. Those backaction side locks on it are, like the longer ones on the M51, originally a Sauer design and also found on Husqvarna M52 (Husqvarna copy of Sauer M2?) and early Sauer hammer doubles (M2, etc.). I would look carefully at underlugs for signs of "blacksmithing", or ask person at Simpson Ltd. to do it for you. Beware that their "excellent" bores can still have lots of pitts when cleaned carefully.

The Bayard originally had 65 mm chambers. No idea about barrel wall thickness just ahead of chambers. With brass hulls, no problem.

All these guns originally had flat-topped, net checkering, NOT pointy-topped diamond checkering. Don't let folks tell you the checkering is badly worn, just because of the flat-topped. IF redone with diamond checkering, look for what else has been "redone".

Those "nitro" proofs are likely more like CIP than SAAMI. No problem if reloading, especially 12 gauge.

Niklas