Originally Posted by Der Ami
PhysDoc,
Good on you. My dad didn't care much about guns and didn't teach me much about them, but he taught me how to shoot (that was how we learned I was near sighted) and Christmas often included a gun and/or ammo. But at 12 years old, I started helping him on construction jobs. I learned things working for him that helped me other ways, both with guns and my later professional life. My dad died before he was 52, while was in Viet Nam. Because of the time I spent with him, I had a guide to get me through the rest of my life.
You never know when you will go, but your son will cherish the things he learns from you and the time you spend with him. Do you still have the Senaca Falls lathe? If so, that will be a good chance to teach him some very helpful skills. Since it has an unusual leadscrew. and is likely a "change gear" lathe rather than a "quick change", he has a chance to learn more about a lathe than he could learn in a shop class. BTW, the broken tumbler might not have been properly heat treated, another good learning vehicle. Enjoy, I know your son will.
Mike

Thanks Mike for sharing those memories of your father, they were inspiring.

Yes, I still have my dad’s lathe, I hope my son will learn how to use it. The last patent date on it is from the 1890’s. I’ve seen period advertisements that show a treadle version was available. I used the lathe to make a thimble, the ramrod tips, some pins and screws for the pistol and turned down the ends of the ramrod. I think of my dad and the guy who owned before my dad every time I use it.

HalfaDouble do you still have your squirrel rifle, I would love to see a picture.