Being a SASS (cowboy action) shooter I see a lot of people loading down the 12 gauge. 3/4 or 7/8 of an ounce at approximately 950 fps in a 12 gauge is a very light recoiling gun and normally more than enough for knockdown targets. It's very popular with the very competitive shooters, shooters with physical impairments and men and women who can't handle the recoil of the generic factory ammo offered by various makers (1 or 1 1/8 ounces of shot between 1150-1200 fps). I'll note that nothing smaller then a 20 gauge is allowed in SASS aside from .410's for children.

I'm not a hunter and mostly I shoot skeet with some 5 stand or sporting clays. For me 1 oz at 1200 fps will normally work for 99% of the targets.

I don't consider myself very recoil sensitive, but there are a fair number of people who are and factory 16 gauge and 20 gauge can be uncomfortable, especially in a gun sized down for the smaller gauge.

Not every one can afford multiple shotguns and a 12 is easily the most flexible of the shotgun gauges loading down or up as needed

Last edited by Chantry; 03/18/24 06:57 PM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.