To Wonko's query, will simply say that there have been a series of occurrences and happenings that in the aggregate have all contributed to hiccups in the supply lines and elevated costs. To mention a few:

1) unfortunate fire incident happened in OZ several years back essentially killing that source of powder, and it was one that saw a lot of use by reloaders here. That horse has been beaten to death; it isn't new news. I'm being told as recently as last week that any new smokeless powder mfg. there becoming available to reloaders is still a couple of years out. Seeing any in our pipeline as an available component is likely even further out.

2) US Gov. and military contracts for small arms ammunitions have been prodigious, as in many 'X' millions of $$$
In businesses that survive, the money talks and those big contracts take precedent over more limited markets, like those where our interests are.

3) Every Tom, Dick & Harry entity has their own law enforcement agency these days and all shoot plenty of ammo, from what I'm being told as do many police Departments and SWAT groups and security companies.

4) Citizens have been buying firearms for self-defense at unprecedented rates since Obama was elected and most want to actually shoot them at least enough to develop a rudimentary proficiency. Ammo sales go in lock-step w/that. Demand for certain handgun cartridges saw unprecedented demand never experienced before that also saw scalpers seeing $$ opportunities and hoarders simply buying much more than they will ever have a need for, if we are honest about it.

5) It is safe in saying that virtually any smokeless powder suitable for shotshell application is also suitable for handgun ammunition.

6) There is no longer a viable functioning lead mine in the United States.

7) Go to any of the indoor shooting ranges that have proliferated here, and they are full. Some have 50 lanes. I don't know about other places, so can't speak to that.

There have been other factors from more recent fires, regulations that add to costs, wad shortages due to resin supply issues for some component makers, &c. Did those same issues affect the hull costs too? How could they not!? Oil [it's what plastic is made from too] and transportation costs have increased significantly during the same time period. Transportation costs for a container coming across any significant body of water have gone past stupid. Then getting it offloaded and moved by truck to a distributor is another expensive cluster. I don't think it is any ONE thing, rather a combination of many things that has created escalating costs and supply shortages. Just now seeing where some clubs can get sufficient quantities of loaded ammo to be able to support their member's needs for shooting 'the four guns' at skeet!! Many still cannot. Loaded .410 ammo has been scarce to unobtainable for going on 3+ years anyway, until recently. Know of one club that has an order in for a pallet of AA .410's and was told it will be sometime next spring before it can be filled, and the price is scary, but not as bad as the new retail.

Was a time not long ago where one could say that going to shoot birds in SA would cost $1K/day and be pretty accurate in that statement. NSCA Nationals are presently taking place in San Antonio and if you are shooting all the events, you can't do it for that... if you look at the whole pickle. The times, they have changed. Sadly, I don't look for Winchester to be offering rebates on their sleeves of 209 primers, as they did prior to the Wuhan virus being loosed upon us. For most reloaders, price drives the market. I switched to Nobel Sport 688 primers for shotshell target loads @ $40/K when they were introduced here and not had reason to look back. You can get a load pressure tested for about that or use published & pressure tested data found online.
--

And, as to Russian target ammo. Started seeing it this past summer in use for sporty clays & FITASC targets. Don't recall the name but tube color is black w/silver print [may have had the Russian two headed eagle on it or one of the empty boxes did] and bright washed T-3 or 4 heads. Saw plenty of spent rounds but never discovered who was shooting them nor bothered to try and find out who sold them. Found an unfired one that someone had dropped and brought it home to dismantle. It appeared to be very well-made w/quite hard shot and unrecognizable but nicely finished and pliable plastic wad. That one had 28grams of 8's and a 'square cut' powder w/a dif. looking sealed primer. Have to remember that the Russians have won some Olympic competitions in the past. SWAG method, I'd say what I picked up was their present better or best target ammo. Can't say more than that.

The Turkish made Hepper shot is said to be some of the hardest available. I'd like to try some of it on the grease plate, but no one down here handles it. USHA and FITASC both require factory ammunition for any of their competitions, so it's moot in that sense. Hard to beat Clever Mirage, Bornaghi Gold, RC or Winchester Light Handicap rounds for getting that job done.

Apologies for the long rattle, but I've been idle, waiting for an incoming call that will help to keep me shooting.

Last edited by tw; 10/27/23 04:22 PM. Reason: typo