revdocdrew:

Also, examining the core definition of laminated requires the use of strips. Either Greener was about the only authority on damascus barrel making or he lifted the plates or figures from someone who did because almost all the sketches I have seen either reference of look curiously familiar to Greener's. What year was Tayor's book or what was his reference. Being redundant, I still subscribe to the thought that the mixture in making Damascus changed with time(amount iron > steel, then amount steel > iron). But what was the definition of iron in the beginning?

But you have to be correct in your statement because in Dig's book laminated steel is defined as being "made from best quality steel scrap mixed with some charcoal iron and worked under a forge hammer repeatedly until the close and even grain desired was achieved." I just need to rationalize it for myself because if you read some of Greener's ramblings in "Modern Breech-Loaders", it is not so apparent unless you know the composition of the "mild steel" and others that are mixed.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 10/23/07 09:43 AM.