Here is another suggestion. Instead of spending $150 to $200 on Technicana, and another $500 on overpriced books, search around and buy a beater boxlock, and a beater sidelock, a set of scrap barrels, Damascus and fluid, a good quality set of Brownell's gunsmith screwdrivers, punches, roll punches, a few quality files with handles, a quality set of drill bits and a good drill press with machinest's vise, a quality long-gun vise, a deadblow hammer, a brass hammer, a good bench vise with padded jaws, a reasonably priced sonic cleaner, a rotary tool with bits, and a small MAP torch, and a set of needle nose channel lock pliers (small and smallest and file the teeth flat). Also add a large clear plastic bag (used for disassembly whenever some part might go flying out and across the room). With this basic set of tools in hand, have at the boxlock and sidelock. Take each apart, clean, study, and reassemble. Figure out how they come apart and go together. Years ago, too many to mention, I did just this with a Stevens 311, Winchester Model 12 and 50, and a worn out wall hanger German sidelock. Valuable experience. I learned what I could handle and when I needed to contact the professional (read, much experience) smith. I am usually stopped when the task at hand calls for Larry Potterfield's array of high-end tools and shop.

I would add that for a specific project gun, this forum cannot be topped. It takes patience, but you will get the best advice (with a modicum of other input) right here on this forum. And it is great fun. The Parker forum and the Remington forum are also an excellent place to go for advice and insight.