Originally Posted By: GLS
Tom, thanks.
The checkering was badly worn and Chris Dawe of Newfoundland was given the go ahead to recut at 28 lpi. Skipline is also known as "basketweave" checkering and I find it interesting. Paradox barrels are the ones with partially rifled choke area, and as Ted mentions, were built for dispersal of lead shot, not for ball, for close in shots of woodcock and rabbits. The engraving of the Morphy gun is quite nice but one would have to live with the other issues chief of which is the "fairly sharp dent" in one barrel 10" from breech. This is in a high pressure area and I question if it could be safely remedied. Gil

with some misgivings i have bid on and bought the morphy gun, the barrel dent is my main concern....but it wouldn't be the first time i've overstepped the bounds of good judgement.

i can live with the stock extension, or if the length is good for me, replace it with a .600 old english. if the through bolt has stabilized the split in the wrist (the crack looks nice and tight), i enjoy refinishing wood. the telltale damage around the top tang is not as bad as usual and could be fairly concealed with a small amount of acraglass if the color were carefully matched.

wish that i could have the opportunities to see and handle as many of these guns as you and canvasback do. i can count all i've ever handled on my fingers....with one hand still in my pocket. this one will be my third; a decrepit 16 grade 1 at a 1980's dallas gun show (which i promptly sold), a 1938-9 16 #320 that i stumbled upon on gunbroker a few years back, and now a roll of the dice on this gun.
best regards,
tom

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 02/20/20 02:21 PM.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland