Well, this gun is in pretty poor shape, so I think I'm going to try to resolder the rib and refinish it myself.

If that goes well, then I'll send it somewhere to have the lockup tightened. I'm not comfortable trying that myself.

If it goes poorly, then I still have parts to get my other Hollenbeck 100% functional.

Now, here's a question for you, since you seem to have a good many Hollenbecks:

I've only handled 4 of them (two of which I now own), and every single one has had action issues of some sort or another. The most glaring being that the rifle barrel safety usually doesn't work (if it's even supposed to, more on that later), nor the disconnector whatever-it-is on the front trigger (assuming there is one; more on that later also). Even this parts gun where all of that *does* (supposedly) actually work has issues with the breakopen lever not staying to the right when the action is opened.

Have yours been as problematic? I wonder if the small parts aren't properly hardened or something.

Additionally, how is the front trigger on these things supposed to work? To clarify:

On my 12/.30-30, the safety has no effect on the rifle. To fire the rifle, you leave the safety on, cock the under-lever, and pull the front trigger. Or hold the lever, pull the trigger, and gently decock it to safe it. If the front trigger is squeezed while the safety is off and the rifle lever is cocked, the rifle hammer falls, then after a bit more pull-though so does the shotgun.

On this 12/.32-40, the safety prevents the rifle from firing when it is cocked. However, if you take the safety off and squeeze the trigger, both the rifle and the shotgun fire *at the same time*, which is not desirable.

Perhaps *this* gun has the problem and my .30-30 is fine. I had assumed that there was some kind of disconnector arrangement inside there that locked the shotgun striker back while the rifle was cocked, requiring a trigger release to reset after the rifle had been fired, and that the safety was supposed to safe everything, even the rifle.

But I haven't had either of them apart to take a gander yet. How do yours work?