Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

When I moved they ran up a corn row and and I could have raked the whole covey. But it was Dove season and not Quail season...Geo

Of course I did learn something from my Grandfather's lesson, if that's what it was. If a bird is dumb enough to light in a tree next to me his feet most certainly are NOT on the ground!

If it had been quail season would you have shot them ?

I think I said "test" not lesson.

I'm sure your grandad being a quail hunter didn't shoot them off the limb....

I figure the "test" was to see if you have been paying attention when you were tagging along....George looks like you passed and didn't even know it.

I took these two lawyers fall hunting with my turkey dog a few times on one hunt the dog and made the flush right before dark.

Next morning found us walking up a fairly steep ridge in the dark with my dog on lead...I was about 20 or 30 yards up the hill from them. That day I was hunting with my Purdey hammer 10 ga. It was getting light before we reached the crest...I spotted a turkey sitting in tree directly over head.

I stopped took the Purdey off my shoulder all the while watching the lawyers out of the corner of my eye. I took aim on the turkey...then I shouldered my gun and proceeded on up the side of the ridge. When the two lawyers reached the spot under the turkey they stopped and looked up at it....they didn't shoot either. I stood and waited on them to walk up to us....I asked "how come you fellers didn't shoot that turkey ?"

Their reply was "how come you didn't shoot the turkey ?"....

"I didn't want to shoot it out of a tree."

It was a test they both passed...they most likely never knew it was a test.