Originally Posted By: GLS
Theory is the 12 sends a wider pattern fringing but not immediately downing quail which fly and ultimately die from the wound. Repeaters are banned to protect covey size. According to Tall Timbers quail research which recommended to a friend building wild quail on his property, coveys shouldn't be hunted more than 4 times a season to insure its survival.

Reality is "ALL" shotgun patterns have an in-efficient fringe around the outer edge of the pattern. "IF" you do a bit of pattern testing you might be well surprised to find that with the 12 vs a small bore using identical shot loads the 12 will have a bigger effective pattern with a narrower ineffective pattern than the small bore even though both have an identical percent in the 30" circle. This is a result of that greater "Central Thickening" of the pattern already referred to.

As already mentioned the higher the central thickening of the pattern the greater the max effective range with a "Centered Hit", but the wider the ineffective fringe.

Personally, I consider the banning of a light 12 using light loads nothing but "Pure Snobbery", not based on any real evidence,

PS; I too love the 16 gauge for upland use with the old standard 2½-1 field load in the appropriate shot size for the game at hand. I have also done some great shooting (For ME) with a light 12 carrying essentially the same load & also a 20 with this same load, a personal favorite load of mine, but I do not care to shoot an ounce of shot from a gun smaller than the 20.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra