Okay, then we agree. Not allowing exposed hammer guns certainly won't cure stupid gun handling. I have always found exposed hammer to be one of the safer designs. A glance will tell you if it is ready. It is the safety. I have two Marlin rifles (an 1895 45/70 Guide Gun and a 1894 45 Colt) that "had" the push button safety, which I regard as un-safe. I remove the button safety on both of them and replaced it with that $18 plug. My Henrys don't have safeties or half cock, but the hammer will not fall to the firing pin without a full trigger pull. When hunting, they must be cocked prior to firing. The only two ADs I've had were with 98 Mauser sporters and Buehler safeties. Never even close with a hammer gun.

As we all know, ultimately any safety on a firearm is redundant (or should be). The main safety is between the ears of the person holding the gun.

I sure did like the poem earlier and I'm stealing it, blowing it up and it's going on the hunting camp wall, and copies to all my sons and nephews.

Some of the greatest gun safety lessons I've taught were upon skinning deer and hogs. I'd call the boys over as I gutted the animal. I told them, if there is a gun "accident", this is what the doctor is going to see when he's trying to save your life. But as you can see, it is too late for this deer. About that time the congealed blood, shredded lungs and heart spill out in a gush of blood and bone fragments.

Even a ten year old boy can understand that. To this day I still say every time they go out (and they are all grown men now), "Be careful, be sure to unload before you climb in or out of the stand".

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I've been carrying my soapbox around with me lately.

Alan