I'm not going to pretend that I've killed as many turkeys as Frank, but I've killed enough to feel comfortable giving my two cents about wounding birds and follow-up shots. First of all, a single-shot gun has it's roots in hunting and not as a stunt gun. Ruger No. 1 has a serious following among big game hunters. With a single shot for turkeys, it takes discipline. Actually, it's the same discipline that should be exercised by all turkey hunters regardless of how many shells the gun holds. Don't shoot until you have a killing shot, both in distance and in the clear. Don't shoot at a bird flying away from you. Some hunters have a false, erroneous confidence in repeaters in taking a shot knowing it's marginal. I've heard enough rapid three shot volleys by others in a turkey woods to know the results. While there may have been others, I can think of one instance where it took follow-up shots by me to put one down for the count. It was a stupid shot with my former SBE; one that I shouldn't have taken. We all are guilty one time or another of Stupid Turkey Hunter Tricks. Another time, I shot out of shells at a bird with a three shot Moss. 835 shooting 3.5" Nitros that I had to kill barehanded. (The second and third shots didn't connect.) Got the bejeebers spurred out of me doing it. I had to run it down and jump on it and break its neck. No small feat with barehands. As for gauge, I had a bird run off after being shot at with a 10 ga. double. It was in range. I couldn't believe it wasn't stone dead after the shot. In disbelief, I went looking for it. I was about to give up on the edge of a marsh when to my left, I heard it flopping in a pine top and recovered it. It was 150 yards from where I first shot it. Point is, gauge of gun is no guarantee. With a heavy load and big gauge, recoil is such that it makes a second shot recovery all the more difficult. In hunting cover, which is most of what I hunt, a second shot is just not going to present itself. As for only killing one bird that comes in with others, that's how I've done it my career even with repeaters with one exception in Texas on Rios. I prefer to go back later in the season and call up his buddy. John, have a good time with the Henry. Are you going to shoot it off the bead, rifle sights or red dot? Gil