Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I knocked boxlocks with integral strikers/tumblers, Larry, because if one breaks, you are out of the game that year. If I had to, I could service the striker in a Holland pattern sidelock. Fact is, I have a spare for the BSS, and it just takes a screwdriver to do it. I wont be repairing the integrated striker in a boxlock, however.
Has it occurred to you the subject here is a sidelock gun, not a boxlock? Further, that once the sidelock is out of the way, you have pretty easy access to the striker, something that is completely different in a boxlock? Disc set strikers are WAY more important in a boxlock, Larry.
Make a note of that. Your education continues.
Did you take a look at the spring Dewey repaired in the AYA, Larry? It was poorly made. That is not a cheap Spanish gun. I have a Spanish boxlock gun Larry, use it all the time, but, it cost me $400, and has disc set strikers AND the tool and spare strikers.
The Flynn article was done after he did a strip and clean to a customers BSS sidelock. He mentioned Abe Chaber in the article, as Abe agrees with Flynn about the BSS. Im going to guess people with sidelocks are a bit more religious about getting them serviced than the run of the mill boxlock or, pump owner.
Good wood is where you find it. Having great wood on a Parker, or, Parker reproduction wouldnt change the fact you are stuck with a Parker, a design Im not overly impressed with, ESPECIALLY small bore and single trigger versions.

Best,
Ted

Ted, that sidelock striker repair is much easier, isn't it, if the locks are hand detachable . . . which they aren't on a BSS.

I believe--I'm going back quite a way in my memory--that it was Abe Chaber with whom I spoke about the Charles Daly OU's and broken leaf springs. Your praise of Japanese steel and technology didn't seem to be restricted to sidelocks only . . . which is a good thing, because if it were, you wouldn't be talking about very many guns. As compared, for example, to the Spanish gun industry.

Whether you're overly impressed or not with a Parker is irrelevant. And "especially the small bores"? Hmmm. Check the prices on Parker Repro 28's. If you do that, you will note that they run significantly higher than for 12's or 20's--even though they made more 28's than they did 12's. Those guns obviously have quite a few fans. And typically sell for bigger bucks than a BSS Sidelock 20. Which, I will again stipulate, is a pretty nice gun. But for some reason, hasn't seen the same price increase as a Repro 28--even though there are 10x more Repro 28's out there than BSS Sidelock 20's.

It would appear that the sxs buying public doesn't agree with your tastes. Nothing wrong with that. Somebody has to like Darnes! smile

Last edited by L. Brown; 02/22/19 08:57 AM.