Miller,
I am not arguing with what you claim, Im just saying quantify it, in a useful, scientific, and repeatable form. The devil is in the details, and while we can suppose it is harder on a gun pushing 1/8oz more shot out the end at the same velocity as a lighter load, that supposition proves nothing. Peak pressure is about all we can document.

Keith,
Gun steel, circa 1900, is pretty low grade stuff. I got that from Turnbull. You make excellent points.

Ky Jon,
I already brought up the long frame. The long frame with metal hogged out The Whole length of both sides, and a big rectangular hole cut in the bottom. I have posted in the past that had the frames been built of 4140 that was heat treated, we wouldnt be having this discussion. I still believe that.

Daryl,
I shoot. I dont collect guns. My only collection is a pretty decent collection of ex-girlfriends. I bought the Tobins I found in my area, to a one the 12s were rode hard. I did get a Tobin that was beautiful looking from John Mann, but, the damn lever was already way left of center. I passed on the worst, but, the only graded gun I ever had a shot at was the gun I told Dave about, and it was not local to me. My 16 was bought out of Gun Digest, was not local, and was in really decent shape. The pictures of the graded gun I told Dave about showed the lever well to left. My Tobin phase was behind me at that point anyway, but, I wouldnt have bought the gun, in the condition it was in.
Lesson learned.
You and Dave can claim to have never seen a bad Tobin, but, when a Canadian chimes in here on the subject of Tobins, the bent metal/off face/loose/lever to left
comment isnt usually far behind. It already happened in this thread. The graded gun I put the photo up of is further evidence. I am guessing they (Chanuks) get to see more of them, and, truth be told, it isnt difficult to find an example in that condition. As I already posted, EVERY example currently listed for sale on GunBroker and GunsInternational is suffering from that.
Nobody made this up. They are out there. Sometimes, guns like like the Black Diamond I had, that appear to have had little, if any use, are already suffering.

If a decent Tobin showed up, priced right, Id toy with the notion of buying it, but, most likely pass. Id probably tell Dave about it if I did pass, I have done that already. I do still believe you are OK when you pay careful attention to loads when using a Tobin, assuming the Tobin is in good shape to begin with.

Best,
Ted