I like it and think it has it's place, but it is an oil modified urethane that has a heavy enough viscosity that it will be more appropriate on modern guns than vintage shotguns. There are people who want the stock on a vintage gun to have every pore perfectly filled and as shiny as a new Browning. But that look ain't for me. Of course, it can be thinned to get it to penetrate and seal the stock, and it really does a great job there. I'm pretty sure that the Permalyn sealer is little more than thinned Permalyn.

An "on the surface" oil modified urethane finish is going to be durable and more weather resistant than a traditional oil finish. And I've never seen any complaints about Permalyn failing. These on the surface finishes are more prone to fine scratches over time, but the surface can be rubbed out and repaired with a very thin top coat. I will say that at almost $50.00 a quart, it has certainly gone up in price since I last bought it. But $50.00 a quart is an absolute bargain compared to stuff like the oft recommended Timberluxe. When it comes to that product, I'll simply say there's proof that a fool and his money are soon parted.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.