I think the side-lever patent is this one: 1862 - Needham patent 1544, rotating single-bolt snap-action side-lever

The oldest existing side-lever in the EM Reilly database is 17392 which per the Reilly date-chart would be very early 1872. It was a Terry Buffum gun and had I known then what I know now, it would reside chez moi.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/110/132.php
serial #17392, 16 ga., 28" barrels with bright excellent bores choked improved cylinder in each. This shotgun shows period Birmingham black powder proofs with later London Nitro proofs and modern "70MM, 900 BAR" proofs. The barrels are generally over .030 everywhere except for one spot in one barrel that gets to .027". The action and locks show near full coverage scroll engraving with no makers name appearing on the action or locks. The barrel rib is engraved "E.M. REILLY & CO. NEW OXFORD ST. LONDON" and retains 95% beautifully restored brown finish with strong damascus pattern their entire lengths. The action and locks retain an even grayish patina with rebounding hammers and crisp locks. The checkered straight grip walnut buttstock and forend rate very good plus with a good deal of original finish, perhaps some added light oil and a beautiful toe and heel buttplate with checkered center panel. The shotgun locks up tight and features a 13 3/4" pull with drops of 1 1/2" and 2 1/2". A nice tight sidelever Reilly small bore double that seems like she's ready to go. (17147-143) {C&R} [Terry Buffum Collection] (1500/2500) SOLD FOR $2,185.00

Last edited by Argo44; 12/02/18 02:40 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch